Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

132 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What Police Say about Self-Defense  (Read 84635 times)

rahnie

• Security Guru
  • i know nothing and i can prove it
    • View Profile
What Police Say about Self-Defense
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:56:05 AM »
"if you harm an intruder, do it inside your home".....urban rumour?? :-X
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:02:11 PM by norco1 »
The trick of thinking outside of the box is knowing when to get back in
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
Re: the cops here say.........
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:25:31 PM »
Way too many people are buying these and just throwing them in a bag getting buried under who knows what.  When the time comes to use it, it does not good if you need a rain delay just to find the darn thing.

If you buy it, show the world you have it!  Don't be ashamed!
My wife made her own designer pouches to put her Mace.  She has one nice black leather for dress occasions, a brownish canvas for running around, a couple of ones with cloth design inlays.  She wants the world to see she has it, that she can get to it, and that she WILL use it! 

I know people do ask her "would you really use it?"  DUH!
Ladies and gentlemen, if you happen to spook my wife, in the dark, in an empty parking lot, at night, while she's alone, you will be Spayed, Electrocuted, Burned, Flashed, Jolted and Dyed before you even had a chance to blink. 

Tube Tech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:22:04 AM »
SPAYED!

that's harsh!

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:51:51 AM »
SPAYED!

that's harsh!

;D
I should be SPRAYED, but spayed might happen also. :o

amesalarm

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »
rahnie...

Depends on how the law reads in your area, I guess.

Where I live, you need a good reason to hurt or kill someone. Specifically, deadly force
is only allowable to protect your own life, the life of someone else, or to prevent first
degree arson (at least that's what the law was more than 10 years ago, when I last
looked at it).

Of course, pepper spray and stuff like that wouldn't generally be considered "deadly
force".

In my juristiction, people are cut significant slack for injuring a stranger in their home.
Locally, it's referred to as the "make my day law".......hence, the old joke about "if you
shoot him on the front porch, drag him inside before you call the cops".

Doug
amesalarm
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:50:30 PM by amesalarm »

TechWolf

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »
Alright, now you all wish you lived here in Florida where last year then Gov. Bush decided he had enough with liberal prosecutors putting law abiding citizens in jail for defending their home or family (yes, people were prosecuted when shooting an attacker in their own home because the could not PROVE that their life was in danger (of course that meant you had to be bleeding)! -- What did those prosecutors think those slime balls where there for?).  Anyway, the long or short of it is that Florida passed a law that says you no longer have a duty to retreat to use deadly force.  Now the liberals went nuts and predicted the end of the world, but no such thing has happened. The law still limits your right to deadly force in "forcible felonies" (robbery, assault, battery, kidnapping, etc. where death or bodily injury is likely imminent w/o the use of deadly force).  But you no longer have to turn your back on a robber and hope that he doesn't shoot you as you try to prove that you attempted to retreat!  As any good criminal reporter has learned when he interviews a criminal in jail; that the one thing a criminal worries about the most is an armed citizen (oh, and a good alarm system)!  In my county one in 10 have carry permits (yes, people do seem a bit more curious around here.).  Florida requires a gun safety course AND an exam on the gun range before they will give you a certificate to get a permit (then State and National background checks).  I did not even give gun ownership a second thought until I walked into my work building (I work for a church) and came face-to-face with a burglar (in the bathroom of all places)!  It is amazing how our stance on such issues moves with the tide of serious events in our lives!  Anyway, I take my responsibility to protect my family and myself as the breadwinner very seriously.
So the two things in my life I changed was my ability to defend my family if needed, and also to try to prevent that need by getting serious about an alarm system!   I cannot say enough about the vital work this forum does in giving people the power to protect themselves and their families.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
I thought it was APPALLING when I heard the news about some criminal, breaking and entering into someone else's house, GETTING INJURED, and then SUING THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY!

and what made me want to vomit was how the case made it to court, and the criminal won!  what the hell is going on here?

if the criminal is DEAD, he can't come back and sue you, nor can he challenge what your story is.  DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.  you can't truly rely on law enforcement, and the legal system is a joke, so you need to take whatever steps to defend yourself.

that's my stance on the matter.  criminals are given too many rights and too much pity, when they voluntarily break the law.  and the honest people, the homeowners who go to work every day, have to accomodate them!  SORRY.  doesn't work like that in my house.  if I have to wait to shoot a criminal until I feel threatened... well, if I'm laying in bed and I hear a window break, I feel threatened.  I have no idea if that person downstairs is a neighborhood kid, or if it's a criminal armed to the teeth.  why on God's green earth should I take a chance?  I have a right to defend what's mine.  if I catch someone inside, regardless of age or whether or not they are armed, their life is in danger.  and probably about to end.  and when they're lying there on the floor, they can't disagree with whatever story I give the police.

looks like I need some serious help  ;D
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

TechWolf

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:05:20 AM »
Amen, and move to a state that takes the Castle Doctrine seriously!  When I had my experience with the burglar, a friend came to me and told me that we have only one shot (no put intended) at this life, and we must accept this axiom: Better judged by 12, than carried by 6! 
This horrible tragedy in Virgina would not have been changed by what the gun-control radicals are proposing!  However, if those teachers had gone through the training and were legally carrying, that slime-ball probably would not have made it past the first classroom! Criminals target areas where they know resistance is minimal and our schools have become sheep dens for these criminals and nut cases!
VT tried to get the law changed a few years ago and the courts rejected their request to allow CCW holders on campus! 
One resource that helped me get through the liberal lies promulgated by the media was gunfacts by Guy Smith (go to www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/4.0/GunFacts4-0-Screen.pdf). Go read it and you will be amazed!  Go give a copy to all your friends who sincerely believe we would be safer as defenseless sheep! 
The only help we need it to become informed about the facts regarding crime and the police's ability to protect us ::) (which by the way, for centuries, courts in this country and others have clearly stated that the police's purpose was to ENFORCE LAWS, not protect the people--To protect and serve is a MYTH and a lie! Unless the state gives me a personal police officer to protect me, and one also for my family members, then I have a moral imperative to take responsibility for my own protection!  The courts have rightly ruled this way because the simple facts is that police cannot protect--they are not omniscient, omnipresent, nor omnipotent (they are not all-knowing, everywhere at all times, nor they all-powerful). 
When I went for my carry permit, the training required made me much more serious about the responsibility of carrying.  The truth is, people who carry (with a permit) are very conscientious and prudent. The percent of people who commit crimes with a permit in Florida is so low as to be almost non-existent (revoked licenses account for less than 0.001% in a year due to any criminal act.  See http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/07012006_06302007_493_annual.html and http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/licensetypecount.html). Often, these are not even crimes, but instances where someone was trying to defend themselves and brandished their gun, and there were no witnesses to corroborate their story). 
Life is sacred, and it is beyond me how anyone can think that the right to protect the lives of innocents should be sacrificed so that the slim-balls of the world can have free reign to rape, murder, and pillage!

triple7allstar

• View Profile
Re: What Police Say about Self-Defense
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
AMEN - WOW. I'm fired up. I've been contemplating getting my permit and (probably a 45mm Gloc) to protect me and my wife in our home here in Seattle seriously for about the last 6 months.

I don't know what sparked this decision. Maybe it's the fact that I've been listening to more conservative radio and am convinced that our world is progressively becoming more and more depraved. Or, perhaps, it is the fact that one of my close friends from church recently had a threat to his wife and babies lives by an old high school acquaintence.

Either way - crime rates only keep rising and liberalism only keeps getting weirder and more perverse - and I"M NOT GOING TO STAND FOR IT. I'm going to do what I can do to ensure that punk A** criminal SOB's would be FAR better off NOT thinking they could come up in my home and hurt me or my family.

PERIOD

what weapon should I buy and what classes and training should I take?

amesalarm

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a Glock to anyone who doesn't have serious experience with
semi-auto pistols. Maybe a Sig8, but let your dealer make the recommendation. It'll cost
you more, but it would be worth dealing with a dealer who sells a wide range of new
firearms, rather than a pawnshop.

That same dealer, if responsible, will put you together with a good firearm for you.

Actually, the best way to approach it is to take a firearms course first, and get your
instructor's recommendation. Call the biggest gun dealers in your area to ask for
recommendations on handgun training.

If you end up with a .38spec revolver, it may not be as sexy as what gets flashed around
on TV, but it would get the job done.

I'm no expert, but I have been carrying since 1969 (legally).

Doug
amesalarm

triple7allstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »
Thanks Doug,

That was really helpful stuff. Why wouldn't you recomend a Glock to a new gun user? Is it prone to technical malfunction? I admit that I like the look of a glock better than a revolver, but also, for practicality's sake, I like that I can have far more rounds at my disposal - you know?

What are your thoughts? Are there any other weapons that you would recommend that would suit my desire to have 12 rounds or more on hand?

Thanks again

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
cool, I see you've got your crime control policy cut out for ya!

I still stand firmly in the belief of if someone breaks in and you shoot them, make sure you kill them.  a number of reasons.  one, the problem is over and done with, and I think word will get out pretty quickly that your house should no longer be a target.  two, they can't come back and sue you for some dumba** reason, a lawsuit that would probably hold up in court and be ruled against your favor.  and three, if they're dead, they can't disagree with whatever story you happen to give to the police, as long as you give them something believable.

today's day and age has too many laws and regulations to protect the illegals and lawbreakers, and it's almost as if the criminals are allowed to roam free while the law-abiding people have to stay locked up in their homes.  society's changed.  some things are wrong and were always wrong.  stealing and murder and rape.  breaking into someone's house.  these people KNOW that it's against the law AND wrong to do it, and they need to face whatever consequences there are.  breaking and entering is inexcusable, and completely voluntary.  and today, you have absolutely no idea if someone breaking into your home is armed or not even by looking at them.  why should you take the chance?  you shouldn't.

sorry for rambling.  but it drives me nuts that we have too many laws to PROTECT the ones who break other laws.  what a crock. 

I know a guy who lived in Texas, and he told me that legally, someone can shoot someone else just for trespassing on their property.  I like that.  someone else also told me about a farmer who used to load 12-gauge shells with salt crystals instead of the regular shot, and shoot trespassers with that.  it didn't injure or kill them, but they probably got an attitude adjustment after that.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

triple7allstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »
OK so,

I was just chatting with my boss who owns a few guns and has his permit. He said that in the state of washington you are not allowed to purchase a new glock that will carry any more than 10 rds.

Is this the case nationwide? or just in my F'd up Liberal-A** city (seattle) - haha

amesalarm

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 04:50:22 PM »
As I said before, I'm no expert, but last I knew the Glock cocks when a round is
chambered, and there's no safety. (Yeah, I know, that last sentence sounds like the
last line of a bad pun joke.)

Doug
amesalarm

triple7allstar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 04:53:53 PM »
I guess what I should really do is go and try em all. Pick my fav. The one that meets my needs / expectations.

Thanks for your help Doug.