Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

165 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Local incident: homeowner shoots an intruder  (Read 32645 times)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Local incident: homeowner shoots an intruder
« on: January 19, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »
this seems to be a pretty sensitive subject at times.  here's something that was all over the news yesterday in a neighboring town.

a homeowner shot an intruder.  as discussed before, this is a "gray area" that can get the homeowner into some very serious trouble.  well, nonetheless, according to the news, he was indeed arrested and taken off to jail for shooting the intruder.

now page two.....

according to the news, the homeowner was "impaired" at the time, and the "intruder" was an acquaintance who had been over the day before.  I interpret "impaired" as "wasted", or at least drunk.  he's being charged with something, but I can't remember exactly what it is... I'm not sure it's attempted homocide.  but it is something serious.

this area of PA is a huge redneck, confederate-pride area and most of the population, even the suit-and-tie business men own firearms for hunting.  a lot of southern pride, race discrimination, and hootin' hollerin' redneck stuff goes on around here.  but whether or not you use your firearm is a decision you consciously make.  I sincerely doubt that the intruder put this man in any kind of harm.  most likely, it wasn't self-defense - it was merely a case of "ohh yeah?  well I have a gun!!".

now, I don't say that having a gun for self-defense and the defense of your family is a bad thing, especially with the number of violent crimes, rapes, home takeovers, etc. going on.  however, you need to indeed be responsible, and should only use it when appropriate, if you are competent enough to make a conscious decision between loss of property vs. loss of life. 

this is one case where using a gun to defend your home, obviously, was not appropriate.  being "impaired" is no excuse.  if he was able to consciously go and retrieve his firearm, aim it, and shoot it, he couldn't have been impaired too much.  this guy's firearms should be permanently confiscated, and he should see the inside of a prison cell for a long, long, LONG time.  I really don't want drunken a__holes like this near me.

and now, you know the rest of the story.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

DSCXpert

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
    • Vantage Voltage
Re: Local incident: homeowner shoots an intruder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:15:02 AM »
I'm not sure why you through in the redneck stuff.  Are all gun owners rednecks and racists? 

I agree that the gun owner in this case acted inappropriate, but that was more of an alcohol or drug issue, rather then a gun issue, IMHO. 

To say that a gun wasn't appropriate for defending is home in this case, isn't appropriate.  He wasn't defending his home at all - it was a known acquaintance, posing no threat, so therefore there was no defense.  Just stupid careless behavior.

I carry a firearm everywhere I go.  If it is prohibited, I don't go there.  I am a firm believer in the second amendment.  The second amendment is much more then just protection, it represents core values upon which this country was founded.  Oh, and I'm not a redneck.

(I'm not trying to cause an war here, I just want to emphasize that there are many legitimate gun owners who can properly carry a weapon every day of their lives for many many years without any incident.  And being a gun owner does not make you a racist, drunk redneck as implied in the original post.  I bet most people encounter gun owners carrying a concealed weapon every day, and don't even know it.)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
wow.... bringing back a dead topic!   ;D

Nope, I've got absolutely no issue with gun owners whatsoever.   I believe in the Second Amendment rights and will defend my right to own a firearm.  However, people who own firearms should do so in a responsible manner.  You carry, so, I'm sure you've obtained all the permits and you do so responsibly, and understand what firearms are for.

There is certainly nothing wrong with owning a firearm for defense at home.  But, it's a gray area as to when you can use it.  Most places draw a very fine line when it's legal to shoot an intruder and in what manner.  It's probably not legal to fire at some stranger coming up your stairs at 1:30 in the morning.  However, you never know if the intruder is armed and what his intentions are or what he's capable of, so, one could argue it's a resonable decision to shoot before you or your family is in danger.  Unfortunately, we live in a society that protects the criminals and allows them to sue their victims if they get hurt in their victims' houses.

In this particular case, I'm sure that the acquaintance wan't endangering this guy's life.  Even if there was an argument or a fight, having a firearm doesn't give you "the upper hand".

And certainly not every gun owner is a redneck, but, it's not uncommon in my area for a truck full of three or four drunk guys to drive around the back roads shooting at street signs   ;D   ;D   these are the people who shouldn't be carrying firearms, nor should they even be permitted to have them.  As for what I intended to be a humorous generalization, in my area, everybody owns a gun, I know a family that keeps guns in almost every room of the house.  The daughter, at nine years old, had a 30/30 and a .357 under her bed, the parents' bedroom with the unlocked gun cabinet was just across the hall.  Not once has a firearm left its place except for target practice or trading.  But, some people just aren't that responsible or respectful.

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

DSCXpert

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
    • Vantage Voltage
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »
Certainly I agree that this man was not responsible with his firearm.  I am not arguing that irresponsible actions shouldn't be punished, I just wanted to clarify that there is such a thing as responsible gun ownership.

I personally think the line of when you can or cannot shoot someone is very clear and well defined, at least in my jurisdiction.

I have nothing against children learning to use firearms.  I think proper instruction and exposure of children to firearms is the best way to keep them safe.  If a child understands what a firearm is all about, and has had the chance to use them, they are no longer curious, as well as know proper handling techniques, etc.

A very informative site for statistics about firearm related injuries and deaths is http://www.gunfacts.info

I'm glad to hear you support your rights.  I am very passionate about the issue, and I appreciate the dialogue.

brcolin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:05:48 AM »
In what situation would one be allowed to shoot an intruder? What would be considered life threatning behavior by the intruder which would allow you to act in self defense? Never really had to consider laws around this issue before.

JacketAlarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »
Know your local laws.  Anybody in MY house at 1:30am (uninvited) will be ventilated with hollow point ammo...and then perhaps questioned about his presence.

Castle Doctrine: read about it.

And I second the comment about the "redneck" stuff.  Linking it to 'confederate' articles and such just doesn't fly.  I still remember how nasty the racist stuff was when they started busing in the People's Republic of Mass.

All of this alarm stuff is just fine...but if someone comes inside my home at night: GAME OVER.