Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

156 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes  (Read 7372 times)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:26:29 AM »
  READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes
on: Today at 05:23:42 AM Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the past few days, I've read some posts that disclosed ADT's commonly-used installer code.  It was posted to assist a forum member in adding some devices to his/her system.

While it may seem harmless and a way to "beat the system", there can be a serious amount of headaches involved with doing this.  First, that installer code may be (and in some cases, IS) legally considered the "intellectual property" of ADT.  While they don't do a good job of covering it up, it still belongs to them, and we, as the end users, are not supposed to know what it is.  But we do -- but we need to be responsible.

If ADT should come across this, it could set the Home Security Store up for some serious legal trouble.

If that code should fall into the wrong person's knowledge, imagine what could be done -- while not being able to disarm the system, that person could very well delete protection zones, disable reporting, add a user code for themselves, etc.  And then they can disarm the system, enter through an unprotected point, without having to worry about the system reporting to the central station.  Then they've effectively circumvented the security system, and the business owner is at a loss.  His lawsuit will be with ADT, who will most likely investigate and start raining down harder on people who disclose their information.

We've all used that code at one point or another to modify or take over a system, I even have and I'm in the fire alarm business, but please, please, PLEASE, if you want to tell someone what it is, do not post it publically on the forum.  Please send it to them via a PM and don't let the rest of us know about it.

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

flarn2006

• View Profile
Re: READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but it's stickied, and I just wanted to say that no matter who posts the code, ADT is the one at fault for using the same code for (almost) everyone in the first place. If I know the code they use (which I do) and I were to post it (which I would do if only it wasn't against the rules here) I wouldn't consider myself responsible for any damage anyone did with it even if it wasn't already available to anyone who can use Google. By giving the code to something I own (actually it's my parents', but the point stands cause they'd be fine with it) they've ipso facto given it to me as well, even if they weren't trying to. Hell, if they're trying to keep the code hidden from the public, they obviously aren't trying real hard, as it seems to be common practice for them to leave their "Programming Guide and System Installation Notes" inside the panel enclosure, as they did in mine, which has that code in it no less than four times.

The proper response by ADT to widespread posting of the code (which, by the way, is already happening, even if not here) wouldn't be to retaliate against the people who are posting the code, as they aren't at fault, and that wouldn't solve the problem anyway. The proper response would be to change the code on everyone's system to a different code for each customer, sending out technicians if necessary at their own expense, and take responsibility for the security flaw they created.

Also, are you sure that code can be considered ADT's intellectual property? I doubt a four digit number meets the required threshold of originality for copyright protection.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
Agreed.   It takes minimal effort for someone to get their code.  And most ADT systems I've seen had the programming guide right there in the panel, with their code printed in it.  So it's on them, but, those were (at least at the time, 10 years ago) the forum policies.

Out of trust and professionalism, I wouldn't disclose codes from any of the local alarm companies I've worked for, even though I left those companies.

Picking a different code for each system sounds like a good idea in theory, but none of the companies I've worked for around here were really all that organized or competent, so I know that would not go over well.  and in fact I have been locked out of some of our own panels in at least two companies I've worked for. 

flarn2006

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »
Picking a different code for each system sounds like a good idea in theory, but none of the companies I've worked for around here were really all that organized or competent, so I know that would not go over well.  and in fact I have been locked out of some of our own panels in at least two companies I've worked for.

That's not really an excuse; if a company isn't organized or competent enough to follow basic security practices, then they shouldn't be in the security business.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:44:45 PM by flarn2006 »

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:27 PM »
Come to my neck of the woods.  It's all local mom and pops, with nobody to set any higher standards.

"Anchors?  Why not just hang this Lynx panel to the wall with 9 drywall screws instead?"

"Test the system when we are done?  Why would you want to do that??"

"Glassbreak detector above the kitchen sink or a door.   Excellent idea."

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »
Come to my neck of the woods.  It's all local mom and pops, with nobody to set any higher standards.

"Anchors?  Why not just hang this Lynx panel to the wall with 9 drywall screws instead?"

"Test the system when we are done?  Why would you want to do that??"

"Glassbreak detector above the kitchen sink or a door.   Excellent idea."

Don't forget to install smoke sensors in the kitchen and the garage, where there's greatest risk of fire.