Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

38 Guests, 1 User
aznative

Author Topic: READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes  (Read 17353 times)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
In the past few days, I've read some posts that disclosed ADT's commonly-used installer code.  It was posted to assist a forum member in adding some devices to his/her system.

While it may seem harmless and a way to "beat the system", there can be a serious amount of headaches involved with doing this.  First, that installer code may be (and in some cases, IS) legally considered the "intellectual property" of ADT.  While they don't do a good job of covering it up, it still belongs to them, and we, as the end users, are not supposed to know what it is.  But we do -- but we need to be responsible.

If ADT should come across this, it could set the Home Security Store up for some serious legal trouble.

If that code should fall into the wrong person's knowledge, imagine what could be done -- while not being able to disarm the system, that person could very well delete protection zones, disable reporting, add a user code for themselves, etc.  And then they can disarm the system, enter through an unprotected point, without having to worry about the system reporting to the central station.  Then they've effectively circumvented the security system, and the business owner is at a loss.  His lawsuit will be with ADT, who will most likely investigate and start raining down harder on people who disclose their information.

We've all used that code at one point or another to modify or take over a system, I even have and I'm in the fire alarm business, but please, please, PLEASE, if you want to tell someone what it is, do not post it publically on the forum.  Please send it to them via a PM and don't let the rest of us know about it.

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

amesalarm

Re: READ THIS: A word about posting proprietary installer codes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »
I hear that.

A long time ago, I got some heat in this forum for not disclosing Napco defaulting
procedures. Seems that I was part of a Greedy Capitalist Plot.

Frankly, I don't care if people find proprietary info on the net, and at the time, was
open about saying that the info is out there.

It's not only a legal issue, imho, but a moral issue. At the time, I was purchasing directly
from Napco. They treated me well, and I treated them with the respect that was due to
them.

Anyway...I think that HSS and the Forum are, without a doubt, the best site of it's kind
on the net, by far. The Store sells product at reasonable prices, and a bunch of people who
mostly know what they're talking about, help the diy crowd.

But here's the part that I like the best: Usually, when I visit the Forum, I GET more info
than I post. Of course, it's mostly non-napco info, but I still find it very interesting.

One last thought. HSS and the Forum is not about Robin Hood and his Merry Men. It's
about capitalism that is well thought out, well managed, and well attended by all concerned.

Doug
amesalarm

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »
yeah. Big companies like ADT use those techniques to get the most money. That's all they really care about. All that "customer service" is just a way to get and keep customers.
And, as we all know, customers=money.

about this installer's code...
what ADT SHOULD do is have like a questionnaire of some kind that you must pass to get access to the code, just so ADT knows that you know what you're doing and you wont screw it up.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

amesalarm

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
uh huh. and the answers to the questions will also be on the net

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »
uh huh. and the answers to the questions will also be on the net
ah yeah... didn't think of that, but sounds really true.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

alarmland

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 05:14:37 PM »
ADT, etc are their own worst enemy. They have caused more problems for the security industry with their law suits from customers than all of the other security companies put together. If they didn't put in proprietary sytems and were up front with their customers, they might well keep a few happy. As it is, I hope they keep doing business as usual so i can keep getting their frustrated customers. They make it too easy.

<H>

alarmtechie

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »
ADT, etc are their own worst enemy. They have caused more problems for the security industry with their law suits from customers than all of the other security companies put together. If they didn't put in proprietary sytems and were up front with their customers, they might well keep a few happy. As it is, I hope they keep doing business as usual so i can keep getting their frustrated customers. They make it too easy.

<H>

WOW

KCTech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »
WOW is right.

ADT definitely has their share of problems, but I don't know why people are under the impression that they use proprietary equipment.  Brinks, yes.  Monitronics, yes.  ADT, no.

ADT is over 10 times larger than any other company, so they are going to have a lot more complaints than any other company. 

I am sure that ADT gets their share of other alarm company's frustrated customers as well. 

They must be doing something right, as their customer base has continued to rise for the 140+ years they have been in business.

They don't do anything that any other alarm company wouldn't do if they had their choice.

ADT offers systems to residential customers based on what the customer wants or can afford, whether it be a $400 system or a $90,000 system.

Their dealers on the other hand---  :-\  But, in all reality, it is no different than a small company taking over a system from another company.  One company sells it, and installs it, and after awhile, (or sometimes immediately) the customer decides to switch to another alarm company.  The new alarm company takes over the existing equipment.

ADT customers know what they are getting into, it just seems that sometimes people "forget" after a year or two that they signed a contract, and they "forget" what that contract stated.  I have seen the contracts that ADT uses, and they are pretty much standard across the alarm industry.  I don't know what  the fuss is about.

Some people have stated that ADT has "auto renewal" contracts, but in the Kansas and Missouri area, that is not the case.  It might be the case in other states, but I wouldn't think it would be legal, but I am not a lawyer or a judge  :)

Just me two cents

KCTech
Good security is never cheap, and cheap security is never good.

It's better to have a security system, and not need it, than need a security system, and not have it.

alarmtechie

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
WOW is right.

ADT definitely has their share of problems, but I don't know why people are under the impression that they use proprietary equipment.  Brinks, yes.  Monitronics, yes.  ADT, no.

KCTech

They bought 2 alarm companies last year. 

I use to do sales 11yrs ago and picked up this saying, "If you are confident in what you are selling you do not have to bad talk the competition". 

KCTech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »
ADT bought a lot more than two alarm companies last year.  If I had the funds, I would do the same thing.  I would also put a "dealer program" into place.  No out of pocket expenses, just pay another company, say, $800 per monitoring contract.  $30/mo x 36 months=$1080.  I would take that, but I could not afford to put out that kind of money, not to recoup it for three years.

KCTech
Good security is never cheap, and cheap security is never good.

It's better to have a security system, and not need it, than need a security system, and not have it.

deltadawgq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:05:14 AM »
I concur with this posting,   

It not only poses the security risk of someone tampering with your system or others tampering with you. You as an end user,  may disable the ability to report correctly to your central station Monitoring (CMC). If you are online live with CMC, any proof of tampering with self programming your alarm system negates any liability.  Enough about that. I am Dawg