Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

62 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Water leak detection using flow sensor and Alarm  (Read 2240 times)

BeachAlarm

• View Profile
Water leak detection using flow sensor and Alarm
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:41:02 AM »

Hi everyone.  I am new to the site, but I look forward to spending lots of time here.  I just purchased a new Vista 20P panel with all the bells and whistles for entry, fire, and lights, but I haven't figured out to reliably monitor my house for water leaks.

I have had TWO major water leaks in the past 5 months.  The first was a broken refrigerator filter that did $120,000 damage to our house (!!!) and the second was a slab leak under the foundation that was dripping 350 gallons a day under the house (thank god it didn't surface). 

I've got water sensors under the new refrigerator to shut the water off at the wall and it will be wired into the Vista 20P.  These sensors are good, but they won't catch a slab leak or a wall leak.

I want to rig a flow switch to my water main and use the alarm to trigger a flood alert if the water flows CONTINUOUSLY for more than one hour.   There are two companies that sell kits to do this (FloLogic and Sentinel Leak Defense), but they are $1200 or $1700 for the kits (damn!).   

To build the function I figure I need 3 logical "parts":   1) a 1" low flow switch at the water main (detects at least 3 ounces per minute)   2) a macro or device that would use a timer to detect an open state for more than an hour and reset if the state closed  and 3) an optional actuator valve to shut off the main water line.

I have not been able to find #1.  There are dozens of flow switches out there for sprinkler systems and other uses, but none of them will go as low as 3 ounces per minute (that was my slab leak -- 3 ounce per minute = 270 gallons a day!).   Does anyone know where you can get a 1" flow switch that will detect that low?

For #2 I was hoping that the Vista 20P might have some inherent functionality that can be programmed.  I haven't been able to find anything in the programming guide or online that would suggest it has this capability.  If I can't find the capability in the alarm, I am planning on buying a garage door automatic closer and using the circuits with the flow switch.  It will think the flow switch is the garage door and after an hour "open" with no "close" it will trigger an alarm (relay) that I can use to trigger the Vista 20P.   Any other ideas?

#3 is easy.  There are lots of actuator valves on the market to close the line.

I can't believe I am the first person to attempt the "whole house" flow detection monitoring.  I have done lots of searches on this site and others and have come up empty.

Any feedback is appreciated.  Thanks!

mattthomas12

• View Profile
Re: Water leak detection using flow sensor and Alarm
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
Can you help me knowing how to Detect Slab Leak in the Kitchen ? ?Any suggestions must be appreciated.