Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

154 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Needing Serious Advice Relating to security and self defense  (Read 6410 times)

rdonovan1

• View Profile
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am hoping that I can get some serious advice relating to security and self defense as I am currently having a big problem in which I have run into a lot of the romance scams online in the past and within the last two weeks someone has tried to steal my car on two separate occasions in my neighborhood.

I caught the guy that was trying to steal my car in the most recent incident still in my car trying to hotwire it. Because of this and other incidents I am very concerned about my safety and that is why I am here as I am hoping that I can get some answers to many of my security problems.

Am I in the right area at all or is there a differnent place that I should be to get help with some of the problems that I am currently dealing with.

twisted

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Needing Serious Advice Relating to security and self defense
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:31:50 AM »
Romance scams?  Please explain - that is unfamiliar material for these forums.  These forums usually deal with home burglar alarms.  How does a romance scam lead to car theft?

If you are personally threatened then I can recommend pepper-spray as a non-lethal defense, available in a small spray 3-4" high and 7/8" around, that you always carry, for less than $10.  Always keep it nearby in car, and always carry it in your dominant hand when outside.

As for your car, clearly you should have a car alarm installed.  This does not have to be more than $200 and comes with an easy remote. 

rdonovan1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:22 AM »
Thank you for replying to my post.

To start with I am a former over the road truck driver who is currently unemployed and looking for work, but since 2006 I have been the victim of numerous crimes both online and offline and I am trying to find ways of protecting myself and defending myself from them.

The offline crimes started basically in March of 2007. The first incident was when someone broke the back window of my car and stole my toolboxes from the back of my car. I had that fixed and everything was fine until February of 2008 when someone broke all of my windows on my car and slashed all of my tires. The tires were replaced with used tires and the front and back windows were replaced, but due to a lack of money I have not been able to replace any of the other windows as of yet.

In September of 2008 my tires were again slashed while my car was parked at my mother's house for a few hours while I was helping my aunt move in from Reno, Nevada. The tires were again replaced with used tires, but for some reason people seem to keep attacking my car.

Between July 1st, 2009 and September 2008 things were for the most part quiet except for the fact that on numerous occasions I did find that my glove box was open and things were missing when I went out to the car.

On July 1st, 2009 someone tried to steal my car. I went out to my car that morning planning on going to a temp job only to find my car on the opposite side of the parking lot and the steering column basically torn apart. That was fixed by as much as we could, but then on July 18, 2009 at around 8 AM in the morning I found someone actually in my car trying to hotwire the car. I discovered it because of the horn as they had hit the horn several times which basically caught my attention. The car is an import car and the horn tends to make a very distinct sound when activated. I stepped out of my apartment and saw the guy actually in my car.

I yelled at him and he took off across a small gravel hill which is next to the parking lot of my apartment complex and up the hill to the sidewalk. I called 911 and reported the incident and they came out and tried to find the person, but could not find him. They did send a CSI team out to dust for prints, but at the moment I do not know if they found anything at all.

I have studied the martial arts in the past like Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido, but unfortunately I am not at a level where I think I could really use it out on the street.

To help clarify things I kind of live in a bad neighborhood and I have been approaced in the past by people trying to solicit prositution or selling drugs and on one occasion I had one person actually steal my necklace right off of my neck.

I have been trying to get out of the apartment complex that I live in but due to a number of online romance scams that I have come across in the past that is proving very difficult to do.

The most recent romance scam has created a major problem for me with Paypal and while I have tried to convince Paypal that it was a scam they are basically trying to put the blame on me.

Since around 2003 or 2004 I have been studying what is called the pick up arts and which is basically the study of seduction, attraction, gender differences, male/female relationships and other related topics and it is based upon the dating scene.

While I was out on the road and prior to my moving to Albuquerque from Minnesota in 2006 I had spent quite a lot of time studying it trying to improve my skills with women.

After I moved to Albuquerque in 2006 I did not have the time or the money to go out and to practice many of the tactics and techniques that I had been learning out in the real world and as a result I decided that I would try some of the dating websites just for practice.

That went horribly wrong because instead of meeting women that I could practice the game with I ended up running across a number of scammers.

The most recent episode started in around June of 2007 after I had met a girl through Myspace who told me that she was originally from Ireland, but had recently moved to Albuquerque. According to her she had not lived in Albuquerque for very long before she supposedly had to go to Ibadan, Nigeria on business and had gotten stuck there. I tried to verify what I could of her story by checking out what I could in the Albuquerque area beforehand in person.

Because I myself had not lived in Albuquerque for more than about a year at the time of that I met her I did not really have much to go on and as a result I tried to pick out things that I believed only someone who is from Albuquerque would know. As a result I decided to help her at the time with her hotel bill. After I did that I was told that I would be reimbursed by a friend of hers, but after a while of her friend telling me that he was going to send the money and then not following through on his promises I started to get very suspicious of them.

In Januarary of 2008 her friend brought out a guy that he knew and that was supposedly a business friend of his and who supposedly owed this guy money to help me start my business ideas that I had been telling them about and to help me with the girl that I thought was real.

After several failed attempts of them trying to send me money, one of which included them depositing a check into my bank account that the teller accepted and that did not clear due to insufficient funds I finally told them that if they wanted to send me any money then they would have to do it through Paypal as I believed that Paypal was less of a risk then trying to allow them access to my bank account.

Around the begining of May 2008 this guy who I know as Jimmy came online and told me that he supposedly knew a girl that he had met in person and that he wanted to help, but that he did not want his wife to know about because he was afraid that if his wife knew about this girl then she would leave him and take his son with her. I understood the jealousy issue because of my studies of the pick up arts and because he was telling me that he would help me with my business ideas and with the girl that I had met I agreed to help him.

Money was transfered into my Paypal account and at that time I believed that everything was cool and legitimate and as result I completed my end of the deal by helping his friend. I did not find out until later that this guy basically lied to me.

At the time I thought the money was coming directly from him and no one else, but several weeks later I found out that supposedly his clients brother borrowed his clients credit card without his knowledge and had the funds sent to me. Paypal cleared the transaction and lead me to believe that everything was legitimate. Shortly thereafter Paypal reversed it and is now trying to get me for the whole thing.

I have tried to explain to Paypal as to what happened but they will not listen to me and as a result I am basically in the position of somehow having to get information on this guy so that I can prove Paypal as to what happened but at the moment I just don't know as to how to really go about that and I am hoping that maybe someone here can help me to figure out as to how to clear my name with Paypal.

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »
 I think your best bet would be to sell your computer and use the money to fix your car.

amesalarm

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
KSSPA...

Nailed in one sentence. Nice.

garya505

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »
Dude, that was a classic con game.  I'm surprized people still fall for those, but then I guess that's why they're still in business.   

bodyguardx

• View Profile
    • Body Guardx
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28:01 AM »
That's quite a episode. You can make your car less desirable for stealing? Get personal protection as well, pepper sprays, a gun perhaps? maybe even stun guns...Bodyguardx (do a search on Google) has such protection kits that you can get. Install car security, stop messing with Paypal cos it might just get worse. Those people might just have been looking for someone to scam.

amesalarm

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:45:20 PM »
ya think? :o

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »
I still think my previously mentioned advice would fix the problem  ;D

dknull

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
The problem seems to be already fixed - now it's just the aftershocks.
Always learning.... sometimes the hard way.

jwaynefan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 04:50:07 AM »
Oh man, is this satire?