Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

137 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Important information regarding VoIP and your alarm system  (Read 10223 times)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Important information regarding VoIP and your alarm system
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
With the changing technology, we now have the ability to have phone service via the internet, instead of traditional "landline" service.

Unfortunately, because of the differences between VoIP and a standard wired telephone line, there may be an issue with your security system.  There is NO guarantee that your security system transmitter will be able to successfully transmit signals over these "simulated" telephone lines such as VoIP, Vonage, or Magic Jack.

What works today could quite possibly not work tomorrow, or ever again.

In lieu of maintaining a wired telephone line to your premises, other options include switching to a cellular transmitter as the primary communication path, or transmitting signals via an IP communicator.

I run into it on a regular basis, and it seems to be popping up ever-so-frequently on here.  Just let it be known, there's a good chance it won't work.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Virtual Monitoring

• Security Guru
  • ANY panel - ANY camera
    • View Profile
Re: Important information regarding VoIP and your alarm system
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »
I agree with all of the above. You may get it to work some of the time, but it probably wont work all of the time  ;)

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
And if you have VOIP, you probably have high speed internet, so just forget the use of VOIP (and all its problems) and do an IP connection.

GeorgiaNative

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
I agree with all of these posts.  I have VoIP phone service and it has worked each time the alarm has gone off, but that is no guarantee.  I went to this about 3 years ago, and nobody mentioned an IP solution of any kind.  One of the main VoIP problems is that the system does not have an "entry point" into the house for your phone system anymore.  If you are on the phone when the alarm goes off, it (in most cases) can't seize the the line to send out the signal.  You would have to hang up.

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »
Three years ago, the industry was still going through the entire process to get devices and systems to work to the required standards.  Most people don't know that every item that has a specific UL Listing to conform to a specific standard for alarms, must pass a demanding set of test.  If a bug is detected, they must close that loop.  If a pattern of issues arises, they have to solve it.  If something fails, back to the drawing board.  Since these are for security and often life -safety, the standards don't allow "it usually works" and that's it, the standards require "it will work A-Z".  Now if we could get all the other electronic and communications providers to follow that rule!

As for line seizure, you can do it with VOIP.   Just substitute the demarc point for the VOIP entry point.  That's all to it.  On the rare occasions we are forced to go a VOIP route, (and to try and make things as dumb proof for the user) we simple install the RJ that is normally at the panel to where the VOIP entry point is located.  The line from the VOIP entry point goes to the RJ just like the incoming line from the phone company.  From the RJ the wires go to the panel and back to the RJ.  From there we connect the premise lines just like normal.  The hard part may be to get the line from the panel to where the voip entry point is and not have an ugly wire hanging around.

Of course, if your VOIP setup is direct within your computer, yeah, that makes it a problem.

russvan

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
    • The Alarm Professor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
Comcast is the only VOIP phone service that guarantees your analog digital dialer will communicate over its network.

AlarmProfessor.net
Russ VanDevanter

AlarmProfessor.net

Msradell@aol.com

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
Comcast is the only VOIP phone service that guarantees your analog digital dialer will communicate over its network.

AlarmProfessor.net
Insight also does!

AlanS

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
If you are on the phone when the alarm goes off, it (in most cases) can't seize the the line to send out the signal.  You would have to hang up.

A good point, which takes us back to one of the reasons for line seizure (unless a voip-capable panel allows for this) - in theory, a burglar could phone your number and tie the number up, if they knew your number. The system would be unable to call out.

The vast majority of home burglars are not that high tech, though, and any audible siren would still be going off. A silent system would be particularly vulnerable.

pendetim

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
In my VERY limited exposure to using VoIP as a alarm dialer, I have found that it works successfully for me 100% of the time, it has completed 20 of 20 tests for me. There is however one very important qualifier: The VoIP adapter needs to be powered on and the Internet needs to power work.  ;D

While the setup works under normal conditions, the biggest challenge is to keep the "dial tone" alive during a power outage, especially if I am not home. When I am home, the generator will take care of business, but if I am away, that can't happen of course.

The alarm panel has backup batteries that will last for 4-5 hours, but the weak link is the UPS on my DSL modem and the Linksys VoiP adapter. The UPS can only sustain power for Dial Tone and the internet for about 45 min.

If anyone is interested, my panel is a Vista20P and I am using VoIP.MS as my provider with a Linksys PAP2T adapter. VoIP.MS provides a feature called "subaccounts" that let me register multiple accounts to my one main account. Using this feature I can dedicate one subaccount to the alarm system and, if I do not assign it any dial in number to that subaccount, no one can call it to tie up the line preventing a dial out if needed. For anyone who wants to play, let me know and I will post the PAP2T settings for you to try.

However a big discalimer: even though I have had 100% success, your mileage my vary so make sure you test the hell out of it before trusting it.

Tim

AlanS

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »
I agree with all of these posts.  I have VoIP phone service and it has worked each time the alarm has gone off, but that is no guarantee.  I went to this about 3 years ago, and nobody mentioned an IP solution of any kind.  One of the main VoIP problems is that the system does not have an "entry point" into the house for your phone system anymore.  If you are on the phone when the alarm goes off, it (in most cases) can't seize the the line to send out the signal.  You would have to hang up.

Old thread I know, but I just noticed this. For the 'entry point' you just need to put the VoIP adapter in such a place that you can route the alarm phone line in/out of the VoIP adapter as first in line, before it back-feeds your phone outlets.