Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

134 Guests, 1 User
donhofman

Author Topic: ProWatch unlock all door strikes  (Read 5264 times)

lightguy48

• View Profile
ProWatch unlock all door strikes
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:43:13 PM »
I'm looking for a suggestion on how to do a mass unlock of all the strikes/readers in our facility when a fire alarm occurs.

Currently all of the exterior doors use maglocks and when the fire alarm goes off the power is automatically disconnected allowing Fire department entry and allowing exit without using REX.

However, my concern is the numerious interior doors which have regular handles which allow safe exiting of the building but no re-entry without a badge.

If the fire department is on scene and it's a real emergency we're likely going to end up with a lot of broken or pried open doors.

I've been reading the administrator manual and I figure the easiest way to do this would be to take an unused input on one of our PW5000 reader cards and then create an Event Trigger which is mapped to the closure and then tie that Trigger to an Event Procedure unlocking the doors.

Does this seem like the best way to accomplish this task?

jeffbouldin

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • www.security101.com
Re: ProWatch unlock all door strikes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
I know this is late but I am answering for anybody who comes in researching

The short answer is while you can technically do it this way, you probably can't legally. To have the equipment preform the unlock command it must be listed as a commercial FACP. I'm pretty sure the ProWatch panels are not. One of the systems we install is the DMP XR100\500 panels. These are cross listed as commercial burg\access\FACPs, these panels we can do it this way. They also have it built into the programming so it is automatic. But this system is no where near the system you have, its too basic.

Now the proper way to do it would be to change out the strikes to fail-safe strikes (some are field selectable and will only require a setting change on the strike itself). Then have your company that maintains your FACP install a relay at each power supply. Wire the power to your strikes through the relay so that when the alarm goes off it drops power to the strikes and they unlock.
Operations Manager
Security 101 Tennessee

Instructor for Electronic Security Association's
National Training School
Level 1 Certified Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Installation Methods
Video Systems Technology

lightguy48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »
Thanks, as I mentioned in the first post, all of the 'life safety' doors either have a manual release or they have power supplies that are disabled by the fire alarm and thus fail insecure and allow access.

The areas I'm concerned about are primarily to prevent property damage in the event of a false alarm, the building is fire code compliant, I'm interested in just taking it a step further.

I think reviewing the manual I have found a way to take a GPIO trigger from one of the reader cards and basically map it to a system wide unlock command, I just have to test it and see if it releases the doors and if it also re-secures the doors when the closure is released.

Thanks

Sir Flannel

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Well, if the interior locks are fail safe, then they can be powered down the same as the exterior doors. One option we've used in our area, was to provide a card with all access for the Fire Department use. Our AHJ requires the building to have a knox box on the outside of the building with keys to the building. We add a card into that box.
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. -John Adams

Global KeyAccess Tech Ltd

• View Profile
    • Access control system
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
To lightguy48,

This is acheiveable.

We may program the access controller and PC software, once any 1 of controller collect fire alarms, it will trigger all controllers' relay(or appointed controllers' realy) to remain close(door is open).

This still can be acheived by fail-secure lock, where the controller's relay will be NO in normal period, and switch to NC when alarm triggerring, so you still can install fail-secure lock in these site.

The alarm open could programmed as dismantled by operator or by programmable period, which means the alarm open will remained until dismantling command from software.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:38:59 AM by Global KeyAccess Tech Ltd »
George Huang

Global Keyaccess Technologies Ltd.
www.globalkeyaccess.com