Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

62 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: DVR recording certain camera when alarm active  (Read 3129 times)

egandt

• View Profile
DVR recording certain camera when alarm active
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »
I recently purchased  new DVR (it happens to be by VONNIC), but almost all of them seem identical from what I've seen.  I have a total of 8 camera's 5 internal and 3 external, now what I'd like to do is record the external camera all the time (based on motion), this works fine and is easy to setup.  Next the 5 internal cameras I want to record based on motion but only when the alarm is active (no reason to record myself walking around the house and many not too). 
It is with recording based on an alarm being active that I'm having trouble (more like have no idea as the manual does not even cover this in any detail).    I have the alarm setup to trip a relay from NO to Closed when it is armed, so that is taken care of and works fine.
Where I'm encountering issues is how to connect this to the unit (tech support could not assist which I found distrubing).  I on the back of the DVR I have a standard block of 8 alarm inputs and 4 alarm output (2 NC and 2 NO) I also have a set of 485 ports and 2 GND ports.
Now I assumed I would be able to either record based on a single input or multiple inputs (it seems this correct based on menu options), however this does not seem to work as I expected. 

First I connected only a single input to Alarm1 and GND and tried to work out how to record based on when the circuit was closed, so far I'm unable to figure this out at all as it seems to just ignore what every I set in the alarm menu and record normally.

The configuration menu allows me to select an Alarm input (in my case 1) and a state in my case NO (which I assume mean alarm when closed which is correct), but after this it says "voltage output option" which makes no sense as we are talking about a NO or NC circuit and not voltages.  Also it does not seem to work at all, even when I short circuit it with a simple wire.

What I want sounds both logical and simple when the alarm is on and hence the circuit is closed record channels (in my case 1,2,3,6,7) otherwise do not record these channels based on motion or always I do not care.  However implementing this seem far more difficult than it should be as this is completely missing from the installation and configuration guide.

As all of these systems appear to be similar can someone explain how this is suppose to be done?  Am I even using the block correctly.

Thanks,
ERIC

the toss

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DVR recording certain camera when alarm active
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
As you say , all the DVRs "seem" to be much the same. But this is where the price difference shows up. I would say that yours is fairly low down the price scale. Even the entry level ones that I use can record under the following criteria -  Full time , event , motion , schedule , event+ motion, schedule + motion & event + schedule.
You get what you pay for
Newcastle  Aust

You were born with two ears & one mouth.
Listen twice as much as you talk.

egandt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
I did get it working, the problem was that I was trying to use 1 alarm input (of the 8 present) to trigger more than 1 camera and that would not work, when I setup the system so that each camera that needs to be triggered was a separate alarm input it started working as expected.   The problem then was the audible alarm that we could not be silenced so I had to locate a mechanical solution to that (a screw, that presses on the buzzer to stop it from making noise).

ERIC 

the toss

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
If you atalking about the buzzer in the DVR you should be able to disable it for each camera in the alarm setup on the dvr
Newcastle  Aust

You were born with two ears & one mouth.
Listen twice as much as you talk.