Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

69 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Naive question: DVR, camera, and integration of home security system  (Read 6709 times)

wanz

• View Profile
Well, I have just got my home security system (DSC 1832 with wireless) set up and the next step is to set up some form of video surveilance. I read this forum for sometime. It looks like a DVR with some camera would work. I'd like the camera/DVR can be assessed/controlled from internet.
Here are my questions:
1. What type of DVR is needed for the purpose?
2. is it possible to integrate the DVR with the home security system so that certain cameras are triggered to record when an alarm is violated on the security system, or do I need to have separate senor for that (some post seem to suggest the DVR can be triggered by a sensor)?

I don't want to go too cheap, but not to high end either. budget wise I can spend up to 1000.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

wanz

Tube Tech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Naive question: DVR, camera, and integration of home security system
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »
is it possible to integrate the DVR with the home security system so that certain cameras are triggered to record when an alarm is violated on the security system, or do I need to have separate senor for that (some post seem to suggest the DVR can be triggered by a sensor

there are DVRs which can be triggered by burglar alarm motion sensors. whether you can trigger two systems reliably is another matter.

the sensor is a switch. they are usually set up as an NC - Normally Closed - switch. when the motion sensor detects motion the switch opens

both the alarm system and the DVR send voltage out on their alarm inputs. typically +12 VDC and ground on low end DVRs. to use the same sensor, both DVR and alarm sytem would need to have:
  • The same type of voltage out ( AC or DC )
  • of the same polarity or phase ( both positive wires on the same terminal of the sensor )
  • at the same voltage ( +12, 24 VAC center tapped )

I would not waste my time. I would use the sensor output to drive a DPDT relay, and isolate the two sytems that way

What type of DVR is needed for the purpose?

good luck. the last two DVRs I bought try to install Active X controls on the computer. IP interface will not work without these Active X controls. Windows 7 is too mule stubborn full of itself to allow these Active X controls to be installed. you are not informed of this in the sellers propaganda.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:07:54 AM by Tube Tech »

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
I have Windows 7 and can access the Dahua dvrs we install over the internet.  I must have changed the security settings to allow ActiveX but I don't recall.  These DVRs also have a software program you can install on your computer which will allow you to access the system through it versus through your web browser.  The only compatibility issue I've found so far is with Mac Lion OS.

I highly recommend Dahua manufactured DVRs.  They have good functionality at a great price.  How many cameras are you looking to install?  Do you want dome or bullet style cameras?  I'd be happy to provide some recommendations if you advise on the above. With your budget you shouldn't have a problem getting a decent video surveillance system. 

wanz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
Thank you both for the information.

Looks like I have to segregate the two system. Still, I don't want to give it up right here. Is there something like I can wire a PGP output from the alarm system's panel to the DVR which triggers all cameras to start recording?

What is DPDT relay and how I do it? sorry again for the naiveness.

I probably need 4 camera (two inside and two outside). Like to have night capabilities. I don't know what are the differences between dome and bullet style cameras, probably doesn't matter that much. I think I want good quality pictures from the outside cameras, at least. Surely your recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks again

wanz
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:07:18 AM by wanz »

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:37:04 AM »
Getting back to the alarm feature you mentioned, why don't you just have the DVR record continuously?  Motion detection and alarm triggers aren't infallible, so I always recommend setting for continuous and motion detection recording. 

Your alarm system will notify you of an event, then you log in and check the surveillance system.  You'll have times of the event from the alarm and you can always playback the dvr to see what happened…just a thought. 

wanz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
DVR rec is below...it has alarm inputs:
http://www.qvissecurity.com/Catalogue/DVR/Apollo-HD/4-Channel/Apollo-HD-4-Channel-Sata-DVR-500GB-HDD-APOLLOS-HD4-500-N

Camera Recs:
http://www.qvissecurity.com/Catalogue/Cameras/Eyeball-Domes/Professional-Range/13-Interline-600TVL-36-Ir-25-30m-Ir-Range-36m-Lens-EYE-2705FWH-N

Camera is 600tvl with IR also comes in varifocal if you want that.

Is this the Dahua you mentioned? I don't seem to find anything saying it.

Maybe the most robust way is to have the recording on all the time. I initially thought I only need to have the outside cameras on but the indoor ones kicked on once somebody break in.

Thanks,

wanz

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
Yes it is Dahua OEM...you could always set the indoor for motion detection if you don't want continuous.  If you network it, just make sure you change the username/password from default settings as you don't want outsiders looking in!

wanz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »
interesting site does not allow price displayed, or account created directly.

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
PM sent with purchase options