PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

183 Guests, 2 Users
murphy62,
RBEBY

Author Topic: Napco 2600 repair or just replace?  (Read 2440 times)

Durwin

• View Profile
Napco 2600 repair or just replace?
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
I have a Napco Magnum Alert 2600 with 15 zones that was installed with the house 20 years ago.  It started alarming spuriously about 5-6 years ago so I just shut it down and cancelled monitoring.

I was thinking of starting it up (repair or replace) - it has lost all programming but when it was installed I insisted on getting the installation manual with the detailed keypad programming instructions.  I'm moderately computer savvy  but don't have a lot of specific experience with alarm systems.

On a lark, I bought a used motherboard and thought I'd just swap it out - obviously with complete reprogramming  being necessary.

When it failed, it would restart and seemingly run fine for a few hours, but then alarm with a system error.  Now when I try to restart it, it alarms immediately with a fire alarm and a system error.

I don't expect that troubleshooting the motherboard is likely to be worth the effort, but am I crazy to think about just replacing the motherboard and reprogramming?

If I'm looking at replacing it, any suggestions about specific make/model?  Everything is hardwired, there are no wireless sensors, the alarm is connected to a pots line.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mikealarm

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • 45 years as a tech, Worked for Napco & Alarmnet
    • View Profile
Re: Napco 2600 repair or just replace?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
To determine whether you have a problem with the panel or something on the wiring, you need to disconnect the zones, with the resistors left on, and see what the keypad says, you may be replacing the board for no reason.

Durwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Thanks, but it wasn't a zone fault - it kept alarming with "system trouble".  Given its age and the hassle, I just went ahead and had a local company replace the system, during which time I found several other problems that I should have known about before but had assumed that the initial installer knew what he was doing.  In two locations where I thought I had fire alarms (heat sensors), there were nothing but wire loops - sort of like someone didn't have the sensors and intended to get back with an installation but either forgot or decided against.  In any case, I now have a better system that works (and a bit of a repair list to sort out some of the loose ends).

jrscpu2004

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
I know its been a bit late but I just read your question. I have owned a few of the MA2600's. When was the last time you replaced your battery Back UP. I mean the 12v/6 AH motorcycle battery?? If it goes bad, it will simply show up as System Trouble on your display. Also there is a LCD coin battery that has to be replaced every 5 years too. Hopefully you didn't replace the system because this Napco MA2600 is bullet proof.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »
I know its been a bit late but I just read your question. I have owned a few of the MA2600's. When was the last time you replaced your battery Back UP. I mean the 12v/6 AH motorcycle battery?? If it goes bad, it will simply show up as System Trouble on your display. Also there is a LCD coin battery that has to be replaced every 5 years too. Hopefully you didn't replace the system because this Napco MA2600 is bullet proof.

If you'll look at the latest post before yours, jrscpu2004, you'll see that Durwin had his/her "system replaced", which I take to mean that s/he had the control panel and keypads replaced and possibly some loop and sensor issues handled.  So speculating on what may have been the problem is a moot point.

Since you bring it up, and for the benefit of anybody else out there who may still have an MA2600: You may personally have had good luck with your Napco MA2600, but I serviced a lot of them back in the day and I can attest that we saw a lot of RP2000 keypad problems, compared to other professional-grade systems. Since Napco made its keypads system-specific with each new panel/series model, and the MA2600 & RP2000 were only in production a few years (?), there are no _new_ keypads available for any surviving MA2600s.

For this reason, my default advice for anyone having an actual MA2600 Panel or RP2000 KP problem, is to use their money to upgrade panel and keypad(s) to something made in this century, instead of replacing one or the other just to buy a little more time before they have to replace it all anyway.

This is one reason I gave up on Napco panels over a decade ago and went with Ademco: I recently advised an Ademco 4120EC Panel User that he could replace his worn-out 4127 KP with a contemporary Honeywell (formerly Ademco) 6150 Keypad.  Ademco marketed the 4120 back in the early 90s, approximately 25-ish years ago, and the contemporary KPs are still back-and-cross-compatible. 

So this User's Ademco 4120EC _may_ (or may not) give out from age in a few years, but the 6150 KP he bought won't be wasted because a new Honeywell Panel, Vista-20P or whatever model, will still be compatible.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:34:25 PM by ChosunOne »

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »
Not to mention, the 2600 needs the DOS-based PCD2000 software.  Last time I tried to work on a 2600, my Windows Quickloader wouldn't support it.  That was probably 8 years ago, and was the only 2600 I've ever seen.   I wouldn't recommend an end user, even one who is tech savvy, try to undertake keypad programming on these (if they're anything like all other MA series panels).

I personally like Napco a lot, the Gemini panels are good and solid.  The 1008e and 1016e's were good and solid too, and I think those keypads are still available.  Every brand has their quirks, though I do like that modern Honeywell keypads will work with old 4110s and stuff.  Just gotta remember that the old keypads like the 6127s are set to address 31 and cannot be changed, and can't work with newer panels!!
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 11:42:37 PM »
Not to mention, the 2600 needs the DOS-based PCD2000 software.  Last time I tried to work on a 2600, my Windows Quickloader wouldn't support it.  That was probably 8 years ago, and was the only 2600 I've ever seen.   I wouldn't recommend an end user, even one who is tech savvy, try to undertake keypad programming on these (if they're anything like all other MA series panels).

I personally like Napco a lot, the Gemini panels are good and solid.  The 1008e and 1016e's were good and solid too, and I think those keypads are still available.  Every brand has their quirks, though I do like that modern Honeywell keypads will work with old 4110s and stuff.  Just gotta remember that the old keypads like the 6127s are set to address 31 and cannot be changed, and can't work with newer panels!!

Totally agree that keypad programming for any end user would be one helluva learning curve.

I've never programmed a 2600 from scratch but I had to modifications, corrections, and additions to the programming when they were new; via keypad programming.   My recollection was that they were  harder to navigate than the MA1000 series.  And they did have an unusually high keypad failure rate for some reason.  In all fairness, most Napco panels were solid, as you said.

I haven't had to deal with a 2600 since probably around 2000, thank technology and progress. 
I'm retired but I still do the occasional odd troubleshooting/repair job with my personal customers; Normally, I try to keep old equipment alive if it works, especially Ademco; but if someone wants me to take on a MA2600, my first recommendation will be to upgrade to something made in this century.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:55:07 PM by ChosunOne »