Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

118 Guests, 1 User
murphy62

Author Topic: ADT/Sky charges  (Read 4372 times)

fairyenuf

• View Profile
ADT/Sky charges
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:18:21 AM »
I can't find any other posts on this but can't believe that my 81 year old Mother is the only person in the UK that is suffering. Briefly, she has had her ADT alarm for 25 years. She moved to Anytime Sky calls two years ago following 50+ years with BT.

From the research I have done, Sky moved away from the BT telephone exchange on 1st June 2012 to their own telephone exchange.

ADT have an arrangement with BT that remote calls are charged at local rate. They DO NOT have this arrangement with Sky. Each time my Mother goes out - she turns on the alarm; when she comes home - she switches it off. When she goes to bed - she switches it on and off again in the morning. Sky charges each of the silent calls to the police at 74p per time.

She pays all her bills by Direct Debit, was completely unaware that each time the alarm was switched on and off - the alarm made a call and that all these calls were accruing cost.

Sky did not advise a) that they were opening their own exchange; b) that all Sky Talk customers would move across to that exchange c) that calls to 08 or 09 numbers incurred huge costs d) that they would disconnect telephones IF their imposed credit limit was exceeded.

I am getting no sense from Sky who have totally abrogated their responsibility. They left a vulnerable adult of 81 years old without explanation, without a telephone for outgoing calls; and their best repsonse was pay the bill and we'll sort it out later. Customer centric? NOT.

ADT - no response other than platitudes. In the meantime, in three weeks from June 1 and up until June 21, my Mother has paid out to Sky GBP246 with a further amount of GBP 60 + her usual DD for TV due to be paid. The costs accrue by the hour. She is now so terrified that her phone will be cut-off again - she does not switch the alarm on hence no cost incurred but leaving her vulnerable.

I am incandescent with anger. I have spent in total 10 hours on the phone to Sky and an additional 4 hours to ADT plus two emails. As the bill is from Sky is 22 pages long, I have allowed ADT access to my mother's Sky account so that they can download the bills and call information so that someone somewhere can sort this out.

have instructed Sky to undertake a 'roll back' to BT but this takes 35 days and they will confirm NOTHING in writing.

Can anyone please advise me:
1) how to get my mother's money refunded
2) how to best resolve this dreadful situation so that she can feel safe again to use her alarm
3) Whose responsibility is it for refund - Sky or ADT

many thanks

DanST216

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: ADT/Sky charges
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:55:06 AM »
Well if Sky did infact send out information about what they were doing (I have seen many custoemrs simply throw these kinds of letters out) and your mother did not read it, then I hate to say it, but no one is responsible.

If they didn't send out a letter informing her that charges may incur, then I think it should be Sky's.

I can't see how any blame could be put on ADT, the alarm system would have been programmed that was either at her request, or just part of how they monitor a presumed older panel.

I don't know how things work in the UK, but maybe ADT has a tollfree number they can program their panel to (the alarm panel dials a number to their central station, maybe they have a toll-free number it could dial instead.) or they could just disable the sending of the open close (system turned on and off) signals.

xorobynlynnxo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
hello my names Robyn GET THAT SYSTEM OUT OF HER HOUSE! I CAN GIVE MORE INFORMATION. CALL ME 18007091191 EXT 5021! I can give you some information

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
Sooo, Robyn. . . .
After she removes that system, are you going to put one of your guys on a 5 hour plane ride to install a new one?
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

xorobynlynnxo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
five hour plane ride? why. we have techs in all states.

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
She lives in the UK, doesn't qualify as a state.

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
Last time I checked, all states were several hours plane ride from the UK.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.