Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

114 Guests, 1 User
AlarmMike

Author Topic: seemly on scheduled alarm malfunction  (Read 12952 times)

uicmolbiol

• View Profile
seemly on scheduled alarm malfunction
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
Can anyone advice on the alarm malfunction problem we have had?

Our system is old (over 25 years old) but has been working very well and faithfully until now.  Already contacted people about new system but would like to know if we can keep the old system if it is just an easy fix of some sort.

Alarm went off without reason four weeks ago on Sunday afternoon.  I was home so I could just silenced it and reset.  It went off again on the following Sunday afternoon around the same time.  I was not home so the police visited.  I reset, called the company to report false alarm etc.  I don't think anything happened in the following sunday (I was not paying attention to the lights).  But this past Sunday (fourth weekend), it went off as the E light (for emergency) was on when I came home.  Checked, again around the same time on Sunday--Sunday only.

Can any one tell me what could be the reason for this seemly "on scheduled" trigger of false alarm.  All other lights were not on indicating no bridge to the contacts.  In fact, the alarm was not even set the very first time it went off. 

As far as I can tell, there are no damages to anything visible.  The fact that it goes off as it is on a timer just is kind of weird.

Help please????

Thanks much

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
Re: seemly on scheduled alarm malfunction
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
What kind of system? Brand of equipment etc.
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

DanST216

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:51 AM »
What kind of system? Brand of equipment etc.
This, and has any done anything to the system recently, any service work, any programming attempts, etc.

uicmolbiol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
It is a safewatch model 7580 system..quite old but was holding out quite nicely.

We did nothing to the system when we inherited from previous owner about 20 years ago (other than changing the fire alarm once).

It is a very simple touch pad system that really worked amazingly well--until now.

The contact points are not the issue as they do not stay lit up when incidence occurred. 

I read somewhere that batteries might cause alarm misfire.  I dont think this a system that is powered via battery but it certainly has a back up battery in the box. 

Because the mishap seems to occur weekly on Sunday afternoon, it makes me think that there is a self check mechanism (???) that was set for weekly schedule--the company did not indicate that they are doing any scheduled test on our alarm.  It just does not make sense if it is a glitch of somewhere as the incidence has to be random.  This has been going on for four weeks...right on time it seems.

Maybe someone is playing a no so funny trick on me!

DanST216

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
When was the last time you changed the battery? I don't personally know that particular system, but I do know a lot of older systems will do funny things when the battery is low. It's supposed to be a back up, but I've seen some older systems aux power drop when the battery is dead.

amesalarm

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »
If you want to know what is causing the central station report...the place
you should start your search is at the central station. Did you ask them
what the signal that they received was telling them, or did you just
cancel "whatever it was" ?.

Just wondering...and best wishes.

uicmolbiol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »
To DanST216

Oooooooh--so ashamed to admit--never had changed the battery for the last 20 years!

But even if it is the battery--why would the false alarm occurs only on Sunday afternoon?  Will look into this possibility anyway---This is just about the only thing that I can but have yet checked into on my own.

To Amesalarm:  the signal the central station received was "holdup"--we had never gotten this kind of signal even when we mistakenly triggered the alarm years ago (usually resulted from forgetting we had a cat running around when setting the alarm)

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
I know nothing about your alarm system but the ones I do know about do periodic tests of the battery.
A 20 year old battery is no longer a battery.  Five years is usually the outside limit.

amesalarm

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
You have a major problem if you have a 20 year old battery,
and just recently you got a "holdup" alarm.

Time to consider a new panel, and considering whatever
paperwork you have...along with history, from your current
central station.. you should ask them for a printout of your
complete alarm history, as well as a printout of alarm codes
monitored.

I tend to look for programming errors first, panel malfunctions second,
and professional monitoring errors last.

dtyyz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
I don't want to hijack the topic, but do most security systems give a warning when batteries need to be replaced?   I'm pretty sure my panel battery is definitely well over 5 years.  We haven't got any warnings from our system and it is working fine.  It even powered through a 4+ hour power outage without any issues a week ago. 

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
25 years ago most panels didn't have the battery supervision that newer panels have. If you haven't replaced the battery I suggest that you get a new battery. Many unexplained false alarms have been cured by replacing a bad battery. If the battery doesn't cure your false alarms you will still need a battery if you install a new panel.
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!