PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

168 Guests, 2 Users
EdLank,
sagibson

Author Topic: Security system success stories category  (Read 17058 times)

JoannPenman

• security guard in los angeles
    • View Profile
    • criticalsolutionspsg.com
Re: Security system success stories category
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 12:44:02 AM »
I agree
I don't know what I would do without a security system in our home.
Without a system you are open game to the home invaders.
JMHO

Ya  a hightech security system now mandatory and if you are well known or rich person they  hire a security  services tooo...... 

Firemn99

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:27 AM »
I have been getting off work very late at night for the last 2 months from my second job and I would enter my house around 3:30am and to my surprise, my wife would disarm the alarm before I could get to the keypad.  I always stress the importance to her that if she is not the one entering, do not turn off the alarm and let me do it.

4 nights ago, she woke up to the alarm keypad beeping and she got up out of bed and went to the keypad however, she did not disarm the alarm, she thought about what I had been emphasizing to her over the last 2 months.  The exit entry expired and the system went into alarm, she locked herself in the Master Bathroom.  Police were dispatched and responded.  I received a phone call from the monitoring company while I was driving home and approximately 20 minutes away from home.

What really happened was someone kicking the side door to gain entry into our attached garage...which is on the other side of the house!  She woke up to the entry delay counting down.  Just think how different things could have ended up if she disarmed the alarm like she had been doing intermittently over the past 2 months.

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
Thank God your system was monitored.
Imagine what could have happened if the police were not called

*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

blakem

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 07:49:53 AM »
I have been getting off work very late at night for the last 2 months from my second job and I would enter my house around 3:30am and to my surprise, my wife would disarm the alarm before I could get to the keypad.  I always stress the importance to her that if she is not the one entering, do not turn off the alarm and let me do it.

4 nights ago, she woke up to the alarm keypad beeping and she got up out of bed and went to the keypad however, she did not disarm the alarm, she thought about what I had been emphasizing to her over the last 2 months.  The exit entry expired and the system went into alarm, she locked herself in the Master Bathroom.  Police were dispatched and responded.  I received a phone call from the monitoring company while I was driving home and approximately 20 minutes away from home.

What really happened was someone kicking the side door to gain entry into our attached garage...which is on the other side of the house!  She woke up to the entry delay counting down.  Just think how different things could have ended up if she disarmed the alarm like she had been doing intermittently over the past 2 months.

Thank you for sharing your story.  It is encouraging to hear reports of when alarms are successful.  The most important thing in your situation is that your system was effective, but I did have one thought while reading.  If you don't use your side garage door as a routine entry door then it might be good idea to change it from and entry delay zone to an instant zone so there is no entry delay at all.  Again your system worked so it isn't a big priority, but an instant zone would set it off the alarm before they stepped inside so there is more of a chance they will flee before grabbing something.

Ryan Boder

• Security Master
  • Security Engineer
    • View Profile
    • suretyCAM security and automation
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
When a person installs or has a security system installed in their homes, one thing they would like to hear is real life cases where a security system prevented a crime or helped to catch the criminals. Isn't this the real reason we have these systems?

Hi Scowl,

I would love this as well! Although the vast majority of stories where security alarms help prevent a crime naturally go unreported because nothing took place to report. It's also very hard to find real life cases where a door lock prevented a crime, but common sense says you wouldn't want to live in a house where the front door has no lock, would you?

As for security alarms helping catch criminals, think about what the purpose of the security alarm is. It detects a break in and the audible siren alerts everyone in the house or neighborhood, including the burglar himself, that there's a crime in progress and it's been detected. When the burglar hears the alarm, even if they aren't afraid of it and run away, which many do, they know they had better be gone in a few minutes. This serves to drastically reduce the damage they do while there. You don't hear many, if any, stories on the news where the house got "cleaned out" when a good alarm was in use. They only get away with what they can grab in a few minutes.

If the primary goal for you alarm is to catch criminals instead of deterring them or scaring them away, use hidden/discreet sensors, hide the keypad and make it a silent alarm. Let the burglar think he's got time while the police are on their way. Some of the police officers I work with actually want people to use silent alarms because it increases the odds of catching the bad buy. However, the police officer isn't the one paying for the alarm, the home owner is. Most home owners are more interested in preventing the crime or limiting the damage than they are in serving as bait to help the police catch bad guys.

How afraid are burglars of security systems really? How do I know burglars won't ignore the alarm and spend a few minutes helping themselves to my stuff before the cops arrive? I have far more confidence in my steel security door than in my security system and monitoring service.

So do I. If you can prevent or even delay the break in, that's usually more valuable than detecting the break in. Here's a description of my philosophy on home/building security.

suretycam.com/d-fence/

However, a security alarm is usually much lower cost than truly hardening your entire perimeter to prevent a break in. Especially if you want you home to look nice. Hardening all your doors, windows and walls in an aesthetically pleasing way usually costs many thousands of dollars, a security alarm costs a few hundred. Therefore, people tend to lean toward security alarms. I would prefer to sell someone the hardening solution if they are willing to spend the money.

Modern security alarms, which are more aptly described as interactive home control systems, also have features that help you better control/monitor your house. My system, for example, alerts me if I've left the house and left the system disarmed, left the doors unlocked or left the garage door up, and lets me arm/lock down the house remotely. It works in conjunction with my physical security to keep the place secure.

How seriously do the police take security footage? My police had the thieves selling my stuff at a pawn shop on video yet they did nothing with it. Why should I spend hundreds of dollars to see how thieves rob my house when it won't do anything to help identify and capture them?

In my experience, very seriously. It's one of the first things they ask for if they see cameras at the scene. Even more so now that security cameras are high def and you can actually see the bad guy clearly. Our cameras helped bust a couple guys last week when they stole a trailer right off someone's lot. The police took the footage, tracked down the offending truck, arrested the guys and returned the trailer. An increasing trend we're seeing is in high crime areas the police are even requesting remote access to our customers exterior cameras so they can immediately see what's going on in the area when a crime is called in. Many customers are enthusiastically agreeing to give them access.

It would be nice to have a category to answer these questions with real life experiences instead of the "what if your wife is getting raped" hypothetical horror stories. These are the things that people ask themselves when they buy a security system.

I agree. You should be finding that fewer companies are using extreme scare tactics when they sell alarms these days. We try to teach them not to do that. If you don't see value in getting a home security alarm then you shouldn't get one, no one should scare you in to buying one. I see a lot of value in prevention and detection, which is why I love security alarms, but I hate it when people get sold with emotional scare tactics rather than an honest value proposition.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:19:27 AM by Ryan B »
High Quality, Low Cost, No Contract, DIY Alarm.com
suretycam.com/diy/
suretycam.com/store/

mjohnsonn

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »
even if they aren't afraid of it and run away, which many do, they know they had better be gone in a few minutes. This serves to drastically reduce the damage they do while there.

Also, they are far less likely to still be in the house when you, your spouse, or your children arrive home.  Even if they are still there, you'll know it and be able to avoid a possibly deadly encounter.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:50:24 PM by mjohnsonn »

2kool4skool

• View Profile
Break-in in musical instrument store. Limited Loss because of alarm.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 02:17:18 AM »
My Musical Instrument Store was broken into recently. The alarm was triggered (motion and door contacts)
The siren sounded and the police and myself were notified at that time. the police showed up before I did, even though I live less than 10 minutes away fromt he shop. The burglar left before the police arrived and made off with a laptop and two guitars. It's possible that they only wanted to steal 2 guitars and a laptop but I think that they probably would have tried to clean me out completely if there was no alarm. or maybe if it was only a silent alarm they would have kept loading up stuff and been caught red-handed. I'l never know, but at least I know that with an alarm the loss was limited to what it was. A laptop. a couple of guitars and damage to the door jamb.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:25:02 AM by 2kool4skool »

NonTech

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
2kool4skool:

Just curious, but was there any visible sign on the store alerting the would-be-burglar that the premises was protected by an Alarm System?

MarcPierre

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 04:38:06 AM »
Sure a security system can reduce sometimes even prevent an occurance. Sometimes a burglur will go for it anyways. I know of several instances that burglur and car were caught on video system, only problem was the quality was not good enough. Moral of the story... if you are going to get a system, make sure you invest in high quality cameras
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:06:25 PM by admin »

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 04:03:47 AM »
Marc, I can assure you that investing in higher resolution video will not lead to higher arrest rates. All you end up with is a better quality image of someone no one recognises, unless they actually KNOW the person in advance.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.