Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

143 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Where to mount the cameras??? Stealth or In Your Face?  (Read 7189 times)

RoyBean

• View Profile
Where to mount the cameras??? Stealth or In Your Face?
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
 :o
Hi guys, this is my first post so be gentle with me.

I just bought a Lorex system from Costco Model LH1888. It all seems very easy and straight forward.
My property is laid out is such a fashion that the highest (and safest) points of my property are also the farthest away from the areas I need to monitor. The closest points to the street/driveway/walkway are about at the 7 foot level. The IR cameras are easy to spot and smack with a baseball bat. I get great clear pictures from this local. The safe places for the cameras are on the roof peaks. This is a ranch style/rambler home.  This about doubles the distance to the propety line and also the field of view get cut off if a perp simply walks against the building. The other problem I have is HUGE trees in the front yard.  I can trim them higher off the ground to give the camera a deeper shot I guess. But taking them out is not any option.

So is it better to keep the camera safe and a so-so photo, or get a great mug shot of the guy swinging the Louisville slugger?
Obviously I don't want to lose equipment but poor quality evidence that identifies nobody is worthless too.

Also is there any way to disguise the tell-tell red lights of the IR camera? You can spot these lights from down the block. I would prefer any tresspassers  to be clueless as to there location at night.

By the way professionals: feel free to use my story to help convince customers NOT TO WAIT until something bad happens. Some A-hole dumped a 1 gallon can of KILZ primer on my daughters new car and all over my driveway.  Luckly this was discovered before it dried. Easily would have been an insurance claim with me laying out a big deductiable.

BrentD

Re: Where to mount the cameras??? Stealth or In Your Face?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
RoyBean,

Typically you would want to mount the cameras under the eve of your house, usually in the corners becuase the cameras most likely have a 90 degree angle of viewing. If someone were to hit the cameras or disable them, you should have gotten a clear view of the person first and hopefully you have a DVR in a safe place that will be recording. Also, I recomend putting flood lights where ever the cameras are going to add light at night to get a clearer picture. I hope this helps and if you need anything at all you can contact me at The Home Security Store, have a great day!

RoyBean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
Thanks Brent. I see that you and I are neighbors. I'm in Garden Grove about 5 mins from Disneyland.
Unfortunetly it is living up to its nick name Garbage Grove, And the city here is worthless!

Hey do you carry wireless cameras that will work with my Lorex Vantage LH130 ECO2 series DVR?
Ask questions if I havent given you enough information. I will have no idea what your asking.....
But I can look it up. Its a good way to learn.

Judge, Roy Bean

jamesleo629

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »
I would also say to mount your camera at the eve of your house at the corners for better viewing at the zoom angle of 90 degrees.

AlanS

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »
I say visible, but limited access if possible. You'd rather deter someone than wash a gallon of kilz off, right?

If you have a leftover camera you can put it in a more out-of-the-way spot, if you want some redundancy.

On the other hand, if a camera's mounted too high, all you see is a hoodie and a ball cap. You want to see faces.

pobonilla

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:27 AM »
"So is it better to keep the camera safe and a so-so photo, or get a great mug shot of the guy swinging the Louisville slugger?
Obviously I don't want to lose equipment but poor quality evidence that identifies nobody is worthless too."

In a way, you answered your own question!  The camera is there to see the wrongdoers, keep them within distance of getting a good shot but try hide as many as you can with the exception of one or two.  They are very replaceable.

Showing too many cameras, assuming you bought the 8 camera Costco one, and you may give people the wrong idea that you have too many valuables in your home.  Someone desperate may try your house.

And as BrentID mentioned, hopefully your DVR is safe!

Aikon

• View Profile
    • www.aikondistribution.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
In a way, you answered your own question!  The camera is there to see the wrongdoers, keep them within distance of getting a good shot but try hide as many as you can with the exception of one or two.  They are very replaceable.

Yeap, split them. Some of them may be visible, to keep ppl at bay - those of them looking for an easy way in.
And the rest of those should be for solid surevillance and getting good shots of burglars - in case they will be more skilled and decide that they can con the cams.
Aikon is a comapny that works as a coordinator with other companies, normally supplying construction sites etc. - alu windoes, pcv windows and doors, garage doors etc.

mrcoder

• View Profile
    • sentiment analysis
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 04:56:49 AM »
I'd say the best solution is to do both, unless you're on a budget. This way you'll get a deterrent for less skilled thieves. Still, you'll be able to get a proper evidence for the police in case the more experienced ones try to breaki in.