PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

183 Guests, 2 Users
murphy62,
RBEBY

Author Topic: Replacing an HAI System  (Read 6223 times)

Bgsmokey

• View Profile
Replacing an HAI System
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
I have an HAI System that controls HVAC, lights, CAT5 connections, burglary, and fire.  It is 9 years old and I am told it needs replacing to more to wireless communication for the system thru a Ipad or smartphone.

Most of the house is currently hard wired and seems to work fine but the fire alarms are out of date.

I would need a motherboard, two keypads, 5 alarms to replace what I have.  Should I stay with HAI and update which seems to be expensive or should I consider a new brand and one that might be more economical.

twisted

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing an HAI System
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
You mean your smoke heads are out of service lifetime?  Just replace the heads.  You have a WIRED system which works - why the heck would you redo the whole thing.

9 years hardwired in service and it's time to replace?   I would be fuming.  Is there more to the story?

Internet / Web / GPRS / e-mail to control your burglar and fire system is a bad idea, because reliability is not 100%.  It's ok for automation.  If your control can be done with touchtones then I sure wouldn't bother with Internet control.

DanST216

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
9 year smoke detectors, definitly need to be replaced.

Rest of the system? If it's only 9 years old, and everything is working fine then you do not need to upgrade it.

Bgsmokey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »
I need to adjust the light schedule and HVAC schedule and the security company recommended changing out the whole system.  My insurance company has also sent a letter requiring monitoring of the system which they said my system did not support----even though the original company said it would.  The original company  said the system  would do all this but they no longer support HAI nor do they want to deal with it.

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
I respect that your company is up front in saying that they cannot or will not support that panel. As a customer, I would prefer that to them taking me on and then scrratching their heads over this thing. As a tech, my worst nightmare when on call would be from a customer needing help with a system that I knew nothing about.

I agree that the HAI system is uncommon to say the least and possibly a little odd-ball but I don't think it is terribly outdated though. I guess the question to you is, do you want to keep your monitoring and insurance companies, or your alarm system?
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

Georgi

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
what model of HAI system is it?

I have slim experience with them, but was able to get the one setup for monitoring without too much of a hassle, although I recall i needed the install code and a nearby supply of TP.........sweating bullets, but i made it through.

I didn't touch the manual ( thick !) at least the automation portion....

Gave it a Ten/Ten warranty and the Customer has been happy ever since...