Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

124 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Switching from landline to Cellular and Voip  (Read 3642 times)

tcfromnj

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Switching from landline to Cellular and Voip
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
I have alarmrelay with landline monitoring.  What do I need to do to switch to cellular and voip monitoring?.   I have a DSC 1832 system and use comcast.   

Is the cellular monitoring as reliable and dependable as my landline system?.

bass1702

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Switching from landline to Cellular and Voip
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
If you have Phone Service through Cox Cable, you do not need to change anything to continue LandLine Monitoring. I use Phone Service through Cox Cable as well and have that as my Primary Communication and Cellular as backup.  For a DSC System, youll need to install a DSC Universal Wireless 3G GSM Cellular Alarm Communicator and have it properly programmed and set up.  Then contact AlarmRelay and tell them that you have purchased and installed a DSC Universal Wireless 3G GSM Cellular Alarm Communicator and they will do the rest for you. Cellular Monitoring, whether primary or backup, does cost a little extra in Monitoring Fees because of the Cellular Costs to the Company itself.

Both Landline and Cellular are very reliable, however, either one runs the risk of "being down" or "out of service temporarily".  Such as a technical problem with Cox, whether at your home or on their end, will cause the phone line not to work. So the system then uses Cellular as a backup.  Same goes for Cellular. The Towers might be down temporarily due to a storm, for example.

Hope this helps.

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:25 PM »
If you switch to Comcast for telephone service tell the installer about the alarm panel. If Comcast connects their modem to the RJ-31x jack for your alarm panel you should have no trouble with the alarm transmission.

I do not recommend trying to use Vonage, Magick Jack, or Ooma Telo for monitoring your alarm panel, I have had no luck getting an alarm panel to transmit alarm signals reliably using any of them.
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:04 PM »
This one's two years old