Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

123 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Full PoE Access Control, Including Mag Lock  (Read 2827 times)

unclejemima

• View Profile
Full PoE Access Control, Including Mag Lock
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
Looking to do a full PoE Access Control System, and I've found a few.  PoE NRI, Strike and Prox reader are no problem, but for the life of me I can't find a PoE Mag Lock...or at least not for sale in North America.

I've found a few PoE Mag Locks in the UK and Asia, but none in North America.

Anyone know what brand makes this for the NA market?

Thanks

DanST216

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Full PoE Access Control, Including Mag Lock
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
Personally I don't think a strike with an ethernet port exists.

The best way to do it is to have a POE door controller, can go right above the reader in the ceiling, or something like that and the power for ther strike comes right off it.

Something like this;
http://www.hidglobal.com/sites/hidglobal.com/files/ehr40-ehrp40-hi-o-controller-reader-install-guide-ins-en.pdf

jeffbouldin

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • www.security101.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
All of the PoE access panels I am aware of do not put out enough power to continuously power a maglock. Small maglocks will pull 250mA or more. They are continuously powered unlike strikes that fire for a few seconds. What you need to do is look at the available current from the panel you are trying to use and start looking for a maglock that pulls less than that.

Why maglocks? They are more expensive than strikes and require a Request to Exit PIR and a push button with a timer relay built in. They must be wired together so that either one breaks power to the lock and both must break power to the lock if the power to the drops. They also must be tied into your fire alarm system if you have one. Do not mess with a maglock unless you know the NFPA 101 Life Safety code.
Operations Manager
Security 101 Tennessee

Instructor for Electronic Security Association's
National Training School
Level 1 Certified Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Installation Methods
Video Systems Technology

jeffbouldin

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • www.security101.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »
That cut sheet is not extremely clear, I would speak to HID tech (they will only talk to security professionals, no end users) before I would plan a system with them. However, if I read correctly, If you use PoE it can provide 350mA of power at 24vdc. This would power reader, REX PIR, REX Button (ones with timers take power and they are code required), and the maglock. Remember to try to leave at least 25% power. In this case only use about 265mA of the 350mA. I would not put a maglock on it.
Operations Manager
Security 101 Tennessee

Instructor for Electronic Security Association's
National Training School
Level 1 Certified Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Installation Methods
Video Systems Technology

DanST216

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »
Yeah I thought I put that in my post, I wouldn't put a mag on that either. I found a whack of low draw strikes.