Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

144 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: You keep things FOREVER  (Read 2388 times)

Ken98045

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
You keep things FOREVER
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »
I just did a search for my name and found something dated back to 2005!   Wow!  I think it may be safe to cull most posts older than say, 5 years. 

Of course, if you did cull, then probably somebody would gripe about it, but still...

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: You keep things FOREVER
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:16:17 AM »
Storage is cheap.  There are a lot of systems out there that have been installed for 20 years and more.  If no one is pushed for space, why delete potentially useful data?
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

PacketMan

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:37:54 AM »
..... why delete potentially useful data?

Agreed. I've been using forums of all kinds, for years, and the best ones include keeping all the posts all the way to #1. One of the reasons I like this one.
Thanks,
PacketMan
CCNP

AlanS

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
The forum is searchable from Google etc, so those old posts can be useful. When I come up against something I haven't encountered before and I'm working on my own, I google the symptoms. More often than not, answers from this forum are at or near the top of the list.

Sometimes the issues are pretty rare, so they won't come up again. It's also not always a bad thing to post in an old topic if there's something new to add, it brings it back to the fore.

It just goes to show how much humanity has in common...virtually every technical issue you encounter, has already been encountered by someone else.

I actually thought at first this topic was about never throwing anything physical out. Time and time again, I am reminded to never do so...whenever I do, I invariably need that exact thing a few weeks later.

That being said, I can only keep so many vintage Paradox or Chubb motions, especially the ones where the plastic is disintegrating. I keep a few for possible parts scavenging (relays mostly) but our local electronics recycling is now accepting ALL devices, I feel a lot better recycling that stuff than putting it in landfill....and when we're upgrading schools, there can be a LOT of motions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:08:36 PM by AlanS »

Ken98045

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
Mostly I was somewhat amused by it.  I guess this post will be there until long after I'm dead.

A (very mildly) amusing story. I stopped working at Microsoft in 2003. When I left I had $7.33 left on my cafeteria meal card.  When I came back for a short contract in 2013 I found that my $7.33 was still sitting there and available.  I wonder how much money they have just sitting there.  Say 150,000 ex employees (WAG but probably not too far off), and and average of $10 per person.  A cool $1.5 million.