Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

146 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Upgrade of Brinks (ADT) BHS-3000A  (Read 3951 times)

john_of_il

• View Profile
Upgrade of Brinks (ADT) BHS-3000A
« on: May 07, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »
I currently have an alarm system installed about 10 years ago by Brinks Home Security.  We recently canceled the monitoring through ADT and as an unexpected result the entire system is useless.  We did not expect this.

I am looking for an upgrade path that I can use as much of the current setup/wiring/devices as possible.  We have several magnetic door switches, a few glass break monitors, 2 smoke/fire alarms, horn, and 2 keypads.  From what I have read, the key pads are useless so I can see those need to go.  I am on a very tight budget but want something in place that can monitor the smoke detectors and page/sms my cell phone on alert.

The panel is a BHS-3000A and the board itself is a Honeywell Series S3000.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
John

rive

Re: Upgrade of Brinks (ADT) BHS-3000A
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
You never cancel brinks/adt without first disabling communication. They have a history of disabling the entire panel.

As a rule of thumb, regardless of who you are with, disable communication access to panel prior to canceling monitoring.

See: http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=32146.msg145270;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:08:16 PM by rive »

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
The brinks panel can only be programmed by brinks/adt. If all of your devices are hard wired to the panel you can replace  the brinks panel and keypads with another panel. You may need a siren driver if your system has speakers instead of a siren.

My recommendation would be a DSC PC1832 with either a PK 5501 or PK5500 keypad. If you think that you may want to add wireless devices use a RFK 5501 or RFK5500 keypad with built in wireless receiver. One thing to mention is that you can have only 1 wireless receiver on a DSC system. The PK5500 has English text zone descriptors and makes programming easier. The PK5501 is a lcd keypad but onlt displays only zone numbers with limited text.
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

john_of_il

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:35:34 AM »
Rive, that's great advise - but, really, until it happened I didn't start looking for answers.

Dilligaff, thanks!  I guess you do give a flying f...  Where is the best place to purchase the equipment?  How do I know that my alarm is a siren or speaker?  Where do I find the driver?

Also, will the smoke detectors work on the new boards?

Sorry about all the question... 

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Check the home security store for equipment . Their prices are reasonable .

If you have either 2 or 4 wire smoke detectors they should work with another panel.

Disconnect the siren wires and check then with an ohm meter. If you have around 8 ohms resistance you have a speaker. Another wat to check whether you have a speaker or siren is to connect the siren leads and see if you get the siren to sound or only get a click. If it clicks you have a speaker

I'm surprised that you caught the meaning of my online name. It comes from years or dealing with sometimes not too competent electrical contractors who repeatedly ask the same questions repeatedly and never seem to hear the answers until you stick a finger in one of their ears. 

I will always try to help someone who needs help and is willing to listen.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:10:55 PM by dilligaff »
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!