Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

107 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Solved: Lorex LNC116 Installation on Apple Airport Extreme using iPhone 5  (Read 4163 times)

DIYnovyce

• View Profile
I'm trying to do this installation and believe that the Quick Start guide is wrong and also incomplete. I would have gotten help from Lorex, but after waiting one hour, 10 minutes on their technical support phone line I gave up. An operator gathered my information and gave me a case number, but after that it was all announcements and happy music. Lorex doesn't have sufficient commitment to their product to hire enough people to support it.

Here are instructions with what I do and what goes wrong.

Optional: Only use these steps if your router does not support WPS.

I've read in various places that Apple Airport Extreme doesn't support WPS, whatever that is. There is no WPS button on router as given in other Lorex documentation.

Note: The camera must be connected to your router using an Ethernet cable before you can set it up to use WiFi.

Done.

1. Connect to your camera using Lorex Ping. Your mobile device must be connected to your Wifi, not your 3G/mobile network.

Done. It doesn't tell me to do so, but I enter the name and password I've given my camera so I can operate it on the iPhone software (Ping).

2. Tap the arrow button to open the edit camera screen.

Done.

3. Tap Camera settings. Enter the camera's admin username and password. Default admin user name: admin. Default admin password: _______ (leave blank)

This doesn't work. It sends a message about a Password Field Error. So I looked in this support forum and found a post that the default admin password is Lorex. I enter that and it accepts it.

4. Tap Network and then WiFi Network.

Where? These fields aren't in the Lorex Ping screen. I back out to General settings on my iPhone and log out and then onto my WiFi network.

5. Slide WiFi to On.

Done per above.

6. Tap the name of your WiFi network, enter the password, and tap OK. Wait for the update to complete.

My iPhone automatically logs onto my WiFi with my password. This is why per above I turned WiFi off and then on again to log back in. This should allow the update to complete.

7. Remove the Ethernet cable from the camera. It will connect to the wireless network. When it is connected the blue Network LED will be on or flashing.

This doesn't happen. The camera disconnects.

8. To return to the camera list: Press Camera Settings, ID/Password, and then Back to exit the edit camera screen.

Sure, but it never connected to WiFi.

9. Tap the camera in the Camera List to request. If you cannot connect, check to make sure you have entered the correct wireless password and that the camera is in signal range of your wireless router.

I get an error message that my camera is disconnected. Also there is no field in the Ping software to enter my WiFi password. That password has been correctly entered in my iPhone per above.

I have had the time to write this because I have been on hold for 30 50 one hour 11 minutes and then gave up waiting for Lorex tech support. At least they didn't tell me my call is important to them. After my first five minutes of holding an operator came on and took my warranty information and gave me a case number, then transferred me to a long hold. And here I sit. I'm sure happy I bought three of these cameras as suggested by Home Security Store so I can waste my time with them not working and a glacial hold for support.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:25:03 AM by DIYnovyce »

DIYnovyce

• View Profile
A workaround is to add wireless nodes to the Airport Extreme network if I'm unable to get these devices to connect by WiFi themselves. This is a moderately expensive fix as it would require adding a new Airport Express unit for each camera to support it by Ethernet cable. Each Airport Express unit costs $99.

The Apple Airport devices are very easy to plug into the network and the Airport Utility that operates on my Mac doesn't require a home user like me to know the technical details of network management.

DIYnovyce

• View Profile
I was able to get this problem solved. But it's not like the Quick Start sheet. It was complicated and the steps were hard to create but being comfortable trying different things made it work. Tomorrow I'll unbox another camera and will recreate the steps and post them in my next reply. Here's what I remember so I can get this set up tomorrow. The missing bit seemed to be that there was a setup option that was toggled off. Under Camera Settings -> Network -> Wi-Fi the Wi-Fi button was set to Off in the Ping software. When I slid it to On I was able to make the setup happen. Another confusing issue is I created a name and password for the camera. This is different than the name and password for setup. The default is admin username and lorex password and you have to enter this once in the starting page and under Camera Settings. I saw my WiFi network name displayed and was given the option to login. Then at some point I was able to disconnect the Ethernet and still get a good camera signal. This is why I DIY.

DIYnovyce

• View Profile
Re: Solved: Lorex LNC116 Installation on Apple Airport Extreme using iPhone 5
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
I just enrolled another camera successfully in WiFi. Here's the sequence.

Follow the Quick Start steps in A: Connecting from an iPhone, iPad & Android.

There's a missing step between Steps 6 and 7 in the Quick Start instructions. There's a pop-up window that says Add camera Add to Camera List successfully. Tap OK.

If you tap Done, then OK (reverse of instructions) the program hangs and the disconnect button doesn't work and I am unable to access the camera list required for the next step. My only way of solving this was to power off the iPhone and power it back on and restart Ping.

Upon restart I can access the new camera. I then choose Camera Settings, and it gives me the option to choose WiFi. I do that and find a place where the WiFi toggle is off, so I slide it on. (It seems the default should be On.)

It then pops up a window that says Scanning and lists my WiFi network nodes by name. I select one with a strong signal and am now prompted for my WiFi network password, which I enter and hit OK.

It then pops up a window that says Update settings...

That window disappears and I select Camera Settings at the top of the phone display and the other top menu arrows that back me out to my camera list. I tap the new camera image in the list. Now I unplug the Ethernet cable. The Video/Audio information on Ping in my iPhone turns red and shows no data is being received. I tap Disconnect at the top of that display. This backs me out to the camera list. I tap that camera again and it finds it and the camera is now working in WiFi.