Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

163 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Do you rely solely on your alarm for protection?  (Read 2411 times)

CamelBurger

• View Profile
Do you rely solely on your alarm for protection?
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
Do you rely solely on your alarm to protect you from a break-in or fire? Do you have a plan to defend yourself and your family while the police are on the way? How about drills for you family in the event of a fire.

Post your thoughts and ideas regarding this topic so that others may incorporate them into their total home security plan.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:04:22 PM by admin »

CamelBurger

• View Profile
Re: Do you rely solely on your alarm to protect?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »
Home Invasion
My friends ask me “Why are you concerned about home invasion? You live in a pretty nice neighborhood.” My reply to that is “Regardless of where you live home invasions are a fact of life.”

As technology increases, the ability for a bad guy to rob a convenient store, small business or bank becomes more difficult. So they are turning to the homeowner as their new target. Home invasion and car-jacking counts are up. According to FBI statistics a home invasion occurs every 12 seconds.

In the perfect world, your alarm was tripped and the authorities are on the way. For the 7 – 10 minutes it takes law enforcement to arrive, what do you do?

I teach my family to scatter. Leave the house by any means possible. Run to a neighbor’s house and call for help. That may mean that you leave a loved one behind. Why? Because if the police are not responding to your situation, nobody knows you are in trouble and then the bad guy gets to do to your family what they want.

I am also usually armed (or at least close to a firearm) in my home and car.

Quarterwave

Re: Do you rely solely on your alarm for protection?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
Smith, Wesson and Kidde.

jwaynefan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:28:28 AM »
12 gauge (with some tactical mods) among other things. I pity the fool the who breaks in while I'm actually home.

CamelBurger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
Home Fire
Have you ever been in a burning building? The smoke and heat is intense. It is not at all like the movies. You won’t see much. Your eyes and throat will burn. The heat will be intense. You may just want to curl up in the fetal position and do nothing (until you start to burn).

What are your plans to escape? Will you rely on your local fire department? Do you have an escape route? Does your family know how to escape your home? Do you hold fire drills?

I served onboard a naval vessel for several years as a fire fighter and I can tell you that fires are nasty business. Relying on someone else to save your family is foolish at best.

What is your plan?

CamelBurger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Good news for those who want to be safe!
According to the November Issue of America’s 1st Freedom, crime is down across the country. Here are some statistics quoted in a recent article titled: “If gun control worked Chicago would be Mayberry”.

Last year the FBI reported the following: In 2011, violent crime dropped 19 percent, robbery declined 24 percent and the rape rate declined 15 percent.

The Centers for Disease Control released new numbers indicating the homicide rate for persons ages 10 – 24 hit a 30 year low in 2010.

A Department of Justice (DOJ) report released in May 2013 titled “Firearm Violence 1993 – 20011” noted the following:  A 39 percent decline in firearm related homicides over an 18 year period, and a 69-percent decline in nonfatal firearm crimes. 235,700 defensive uses of guns reported in a five year period, 47,140 per year or 129 per day.

I personally believe that these lower crime rates are not just related to Americans arming themselves, but because Americans are taking their personal safety into their own hands. This includes situational awareness, crime watch programs, sophisticated alarm systems, a higher knowledge of firearms and self-defense training.