Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

165 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Dumb question - landline?  (Read 2292 times)

BladeRunner2019

• View Profile
Dumb question - landline?
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »

Several years ago I switched my home phone service from BellSouth to Time Warner Cable. My phones plug into the same jacks as before. Does this mean that I have a "landline" that can be used for monitoring?

For some reason I assumed that since my cable company is providing my phone service that I was using VOIP. I'm hoping that I was wrong and I can indeed use my normal line for monitoring and maybe use GSM for backup.

Thanks for the help.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question - landline?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:06:07 AM »
While cable telephony is not as reliable POTS, it is (and to date I am not aware of any exceptions) suitable for fax, modem and alarm transmission because it is NOT VoIP.

That can (and probably will) change at some point in the future as providers cram more services on their backbones.

Note that line cuts are NOT reflected on the copper pair of non-POTS services, so you will not be informed in the event of an attack of this type or when (not if) the line is down for technical reasons.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

Quarterwave

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »
I have (as much as I hate to say it) had good luck with Time Warner phone and alarms. Since it is a "Managed VOIP Network" as opposed to just some VOIP add on done via your internet connection, it has been quite reliable where I am. Now, it is still prone to power outs, both at your gateway where you can assist by adding a UPS, and where you can't, at their amps and outside equipment it takes to get to you.

When I use TW phone, if at all possible, I still try to use a Line Seizure Loop by installing a BW1 adapter at the gateway. Which is even easier than installing it at the Telco NID. In this case you run your cat5 for the phone line (or 22/4 if you are using that) from the panel to where the gateway is, then the BW1 is plug and play at the 4 pin RJ on the gateway. This puts the alarm ahead of everything else, which is nice if TW cobbled in the wiring like they usually do (they have no clue about GOOD phone wiring) and used the existing NID outside to back feed the house from the gateway. Eliminates many what if's, including the original purpose of someone picking up an extension in the house to block the alarm dialer from getting dial tone (no loop).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:20:52 AM by Quarterwave »

BladeRunner2019

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
I appreciate the help! I have to admit I didn't understand some of what was said though.  :)

Is installing the BW1 adapter something a novice can handle? I admit I know very little about alarms and their related systems.

Thanks again.

Quarterwave

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »
Yes. T&R on the BW1 header is the dial tone going out of the adapter TO you panels Red Green (or dial tone in)...and T1&R1 is where is comes back to the adapter from the panel.

http://lineseizure.com/