Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

98 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New house moving from Protection one to DIY and S&W  (Read 2229 times)

Mark7a

• View Profile
New house moving from Protection one to DIY and S&W
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
Success story (and thanks to this forum).

We moved into our new house just before Christmas. They had a Protection One system in place with wireless sensors and a hardwired siren. I knew I wanted to modernize a few things so after doing research (here mostly) I decided to go with a Lynx 5100 (most for the coolness factor and Z-Wave).

I decided on Smith & Wesson (Ed here on the forum). I consulted with him a bit making sure my idea was sound.

I pulled the old panel and cabinet. The cabinet was used to house the battery, and make the connection to the siren. I wanted to use existing wiring, so I replaced the older power supply and doubled up the wires confirming all was well with a multi-meter. I boxed the wires in the closet where the cabinet was up against the ceiling.

Due to clumsy painters, I had to replace a few sensors, and rehang the motion sensors. That was just as easy.

I did the programming myself - holy crap the 5100 is easy to program! Ed from Smith & Wesson stepped me through the communications setup to reach the monitoring facility. That was done with Total Connect 2 in just a few hours (on a SUNDAY afternoon!!). Ed was fantastic to work with.

Last night, my Honeywell smoke detector came. Setting that up was easy. I did trigger a false alarm with that. During the testing, I forgot that zone was monitored all the time. I got a call fro the monitoring folks shortly there after. In the coming weeks I'll add a CO and heat detector.

All in all, this was pretty simple. I did benefit from having most sensor in place already. But the few I did have to replace wasn't bad. Now I have to lean the Z-Wave and see how automated I can be (also looking int MiCasa Verde).

Mark