PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

102 Guests, 2 Users
dilligaff,
Flyct

Author Topic: Does this sound right?  (Read 2569 times)

bendersneon

• View Profile
Does this sound right?
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
I have the DSC Alexor 2-Way Wireless Alarm Kit w/ TL265GS Dual Path Communicator.  I am getting rid of my landline and want to use the voip portion of the TL265 (mostly because I don't want to pay $20/month for cell monitoring).  I was told by Alarm Relay that I can't just use the voip that I must pay for the cell monitoring as well.  If I just want voip I need to pay for the voip only TL265 module and swap them out. 

Does this make sense?

thanks

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Does this sound right?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:34:07 PM »
The TL265 is an internet communicator. It does not use voice at all, it's like an internet connection for your alarm.. It doesn't use phone lines at all.

If AR can monitor it they should be able to do so without using GSM however your internet connection is unreliable and not a good idea to use solely as the communication method.

If your power goes out or the internet connection goes down or there are issues communicating to the central station over the internet due to problems somewhere in the middle they will not be alerted at all if your alarm goes off.

gvahle

• Alarm Monitoring Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
Bendersneon,

Guyfromhe is correct in that the TL265 is solely an Internet communicator. It transmits IP data packets instead of voice to a Central Station. However, the TL265GS is both Internet and cell. An account with Connect 24 needs to be created to get the TL265GS to work, regardless of whether you'll only be using Internet or cell respectively. This is why Alarm Relay quoted you for cellular monitoring rates using that hardware. We cannot get around the activation fee and monthly fees that we have to pay Connect 24 to have that Internet and cell communicator active. If you would like to just use Internet, that is possible. However, the radio portion of the TL265GS will most likely cause a trouble condition on the keypad. If you decide to just purchase a TL265 Internet communicator then we can definitely monitor that over only Internet and there would not be cellular monitoring fees involved. The TL265 IP only communicator is reliable because it is constantly checking in with our Central Station through a process called polling. As a resullt, we are actively monitoring your communication level. If you have any additional questions for Alarm Relay feel free to give me a call directly. I will be more than happy to assist you.
Alex Ontiveros
Information Technology Support
1800-560-1003 x149
alex@alarmrelay.com

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »
If he loses power and his alarm goes off you won't have any idea though...keep that in mind.