Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

132 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Need help picking a home security camera system  (Read 6210 times)

sknyc

• View Profile
Need help picking a home security camera system
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
I am looking to buy a outdoor security system.  I already spoke to a local security system installer, but they said all they have is a system with a DVR that records all motions, and optional of internet/remote of 7/24 monitoring.  I don't need all that.  DVR is nice, but for the most important part, I want:
- a camera that is able to detect the motion of a human or larger (not a cat, wind or leaves)
- when such a motion is detected, the camera is able to trigger an internal alarm via the internet so only I can receive it on a portable remote monitoring device (so it won't scare the mailman)

Does such thing exist?  ???

Thanks !
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:48:09 PM by admin »

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Need help pick a home security system
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:04:08 PM »
What you require doesn't sound that sophisticated and many IP cameras allow you to send emails when motion is detected.  I use the camera shown below and it works reasonably well and has customizable detection areas and sensitivity. 

http://www.networkwebcams.com/product_info.php?products_id=725

They also have a new camera called Y-Cam Bullet and you can also look at the Logitech Alert series of cameras too.

http://www.slashgear.com/y-cam-bullet-wireless-network-webcam-takes-on-logitech-alert-0496470

sknyc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Do these camera have a setting on how large an animal motion should it record and send email?  I don't want to get an email whenever the wind blows.  Also, is there an alarm to a gadget when an email is sent so that I don't go crazy whenever I receive an email?
Thanks.

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
Do these camera have a setting on how large an animal motion should it record and send email?
Like I mentioned already, you can adjust detection areas and sensitivity.  However that said, false alerts are a problem with any motion detection algorithms.  Postioning of camera is important, but sunrise/sunsets can cause issues as well as windy conditions.  Spiders are also a known problem.  It's mainly a case of trial and error, so don't expect a perfect system.  See below for an idea of how motion detection can be configured:

http://www.networkwebcams.com/ip-camera-learning-center/2009/05/08/howto-automatically-create-video-clips-using-motion-detection-in-a-y-cam-ip-camera/

Also, is there an alarm to a gadget when an email is sent so that I don't go crazy whenever I receive an email?
Not sure what you mean here.  The email will contain an image so you can quickly determine if there is problem.  Hope this helps.

sknyc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
Not sure what you mean here.  The email will contain an image so you can quickly determine if there is problem.  Hope this helps.
I receive about 100-200 emails daily.  If emails comes from the sec cam is amongst them, I have to check every email upon its arrival to see if there's a burglar at my house.  How can I separate it from all other emails without actually checking each email?

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
Off the top of my head, create a separate account for these emails, or use an SMS gateway to send it to your cell phone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

yunie_

• View Profile
    • Home Security Systems Reviews
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
sknyc, there are systems which sends you a sms instead to notify you of movement. This will separate the notification from your tons of emails. You can read the logitech alert master review here.

http://www.ehomesecuritysystemsreviews.com/home-security-systems-reviews/logitech-alert-750i-indoor-master-home-security-systems-reviews

Sandy11

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Chicago Locksmith
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »
I think you need a special surveillance at you location. You need to get alarmed when motion is detected. There are many system that trigger alarm when motion is detected. You need to configure the video surveillance software (Security Monitor Pro) for required output.

NeilLS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
Hi,
Closed Circuit TV (CCTV) is another form of DVR camera technology that is used in security systems. The cameras record video and then transmit it to a monitor system and/or video storage receiver. CCTV cameras can be purchased with different frame-by-frame functions in which they capture video every few seconds, or they capture more images per second creating a smoother video. Some CCTV systems record in both color and black and white, while others only record in black and white.
<a href="http://gglsecurity.com/">Security Companies</a>

StephenP

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
You should take a look at the DVR systems that we carry.  They don't require any third party monitoring or any monthly fees.  You can access them from anywhere in the world.  You can have them record based on motion and items such as trees and branches won't activate the cameras.  You can also set them up to send you an email alert each time the system starts to record.