Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

123 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ideas for IP cams getting dropped offline  (Read 3341 times)

troutdog

• Security Pro
  • If it makes sense, your doing it wrong
    • View Profile
ideas for IP cams getting dropped offline
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »
We mainly use Flir and Nuvico IP cams both have occasional issues. The issue we are having is some customers keep loosing cams. All is needed is to do a device search and find it. Sometimes it has changed IP on its own or just needs to be added again.
Any ideas that might help this trouble. Thanks

Jonathan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: ideas for IP cams getting dropped offline
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »
I've never used either brand of those IP cameras but I might have a solution to your problem. 

You need to either set a static IP to each camera in the web interface (assuming they have one) and on the NVR, or you have to set DHCP reservations in the router for each IP camera and NVR.

Does this problem occur after there was a power failure or reset of the router?

I set up my IP camera system to be able to function completely without the router. I connected all of my devices to the network, and created DHCP reservations with the IP addresses the router assigned them. After the DHCP reservations were created, I went to each device manually, and set the IP address to static. This will allow the NVR and IP cameras to talk to each other should the router fail. I have all of my IP cameras connected to a PoE switch in the PoE ports and the NVR connected into a regular network port on the PoE switch.

You can test this by removing the PoE switch from the network and rebooting the NVR and IP cameras. After they finish rebooting, all the devices should be connected to the NVR.

Also, I'm assuming you're using an NVR to connect to the camera's and a PoE switch for power/data. Could you further explain how you have these camera's installed?

Thanks.

corxxgold

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
wifi extenders

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »
I think Jonathan nailed it.  Sounds like the cameras are on DHCP and you need to set them as static IPs.

troutdog

• Security Pro
  • If it makes sense, your doing it wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
Thanks Jonathan that makes sense. Our head tech left our company and left the newbie "me" to wing it. Ive been doing ok, but I have A LOT to learn. Thanks to everyone

Jonathan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
No problem!

You should also look into other manufactures for IP cameras. Right now I'm using Dahua IP cameras and they seem to be okay. The camera's themselves are decent for the price 3MP @ $189.00. However, the NVR platform sucks. The NVR itself seems to be good so far but the motion detection is terrible. As of right now I have them recording 24/7.

Next i'm going to look into the Hikvision NVR's and cameras. I've read good reviews about them.

@corxxgold- What do wifi extenders how to do with this?

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
From our experience, the Dahua NVRs are better performing than the Hikvision...although I prefer the Hikvision cameras.  We typically pair Hikvision cameras with Dahua NVRs.  Motion detection on any camera/NVR is going to be disappointing.  You need analytics if reliability on that front is a priority.

Jonathan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
The Dahau camera's built in motion detection isn't that bad, however, the Dahau NVR's is horrendous. I had the motion detection on the maximum setting and I walked in front of the camera and it didn't even record for a second. The problem with the NVR is it won't let me change the Anti-Dither below 5 seconds. So it needs to see 5 seconds of continuous motion before it'll start to record, which is completely unacceptable. I'd be perfectly happy with the NVR's motion detection if it constantly had false motion events but never missed a real event. As of right now, I have it set to record 24/7 otherwise it wouldn't really record anything that happens.