Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

116 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: CELLULAR COMMUNICATORS AND IMPENDING 2G/3G SUNSET - IMPORTANT  (Read 2505 times)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
All,

We are at the beginning of the phase-out of 2G cellular service.  If you have an existing 2G communicator, it will need to be replaced.  If you're with a reputable dealer, they should have notified you already.

This affects all alarm communicators that use GSM cellular (not true radio).  This includes all Alarmnet units that don't have 4G in the part number, DSC's 3060 units (use the 3G3060 instead) and potentially the Telguard and Uplink, etc.  Feel free to add to this as you come across this.

This will not affect true radio units like AES Intellinet, etc.

I have personally seen the 2G radios start dropping out.  To the alarm trade, this is like a tornado siren sounding and dark clouds on the horizon.  This isn't the alarm industry, it's the telecommunication industry looking to push technology further.

Be careful if you are looking online at GSM communicators!!  If you get something that is not at least 3G, it may not work and if it does, it won't be for long.

Alarmnet is already on 4G.  For your Honeywell panels, the GSMX4G is the current unit that automatically selects the best service - 2G, 3G, or 4G.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

nct53

• View Profile
Re: CELLULAR COMMUNICATORS AND IMPENDING 2G/3G SUNSET - IMPORTANT
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
Hello,

I purchased an alarm unit with a built in GSM/CDMA capable communicator out of China (yea, I did). And it also supported 900mHz, 1800mHz, and 1900mHz.

I picked up a sim from a local cell provider that stated their system would communicate in the above , and put the sim in the unit.  The unit acknowledged the sim and a cellular connection, but it could not call out on it, and it would not receive calls either.

I liked this unit because it had video capture built in, and was programed to send images, as well as accept commands from a cell phone.  I wanted to use it on unoccupied remodeling sites where we needed temporary security, but didn't want the expense of city permits or installing a phone line.

Reading your post, it looks like getting this to work is going to be a "dead" issue, but I am curious if you might know why it would not work?

The company I bought it from was very communicative before I bought it, but "disappeared" as soon as they had my money.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Noel