Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

155 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Can you brace a door after leaving your home?  (Read 3142 times)

gzintx

• View Profile
Can you brace a door after leaving your home?
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
(Apologies if this topic's been addressed, if so please direct me to it, thank you!)

Hello everyone, just joined the forum and welcome any advice or helpful insights! We moved into a new apartment complex that recently has had some break-ins, and are curious if there's anything we can do to protect our unit AFTER we leave home. We all know of common door braces and other equipment you can use when you are actually at home, but is there any sort of device or other equipment that somehow lets you brace your front door after you leave home?

Of course, for our purposes this is the only way in/out of our apartment. Would appreciate any advice, thank you!

DaveSin

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can you brace a door after leaving your home?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
Many years ago (late 70s) I lived in an Apartment in New York City (bad neighborhood).  We had a door brace on the front door that was controlled with a key and essentially, when you leave the apartment, you use the key to set the brace in place.  Once inside the Apartment, you simply move the Brace manually into place.  This prevents the door from being kicked-in.  I must admit, that was the only place I have ever seen this type of door brace

I'm sure they still sell these Key activated Braces.  Something like this, but a less complicated.  (was planted in the floor as shown in the attached linked).

http://www.google.com/patents/US20060006679
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:58:24 AM by DaveSin »

247homesecurity

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • 24/7 Home Security
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
I haven't seen anything to do that.  Even if you could, what do you do when it fails to disengage?

Why don't you just add an audible alarm to the door to get the neighbor's attention if the door gets kicked in?

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:53:50 AM »
Replace strike plate screws with 4" ones into studs.  Add a second deadbolt?
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »

If you go this route, don't forget to replace the hinge screws with 4" ones into studs as well. You might even think about adding extra hinges.

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
Anything visual will help. If you have alarm stickers and anti-pry plates or whatever else a potential burglar can see, this will encourage them to move on to easier pickings.

See here: http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=21363.msg96396#msg96396
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:06:50 PM by Static »
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

NonTech

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »
Deadbolts are totally useless as I discovered lately, based on an attempted Break-in recently.  When the criminals did was simply drill two holes into the deadbolt cover plate outside at exactly where the screws are located, exposing the tip of the screws.  They were able to unscrew these two screws, which separated the two halfs of the Deadbolt, allowing one section to fall inside and the other outside of course.  From there they could use a screwdriver to open the bolt mechanism.

The cover plate protecting the screws is just a thin piece of metal and can be drilled into less than 10 seconds.  The person who did this at my home knew exactly where to drill these two holes to access the screws.  It is not clear to be how they were able to back the two screws out.  Prior to this experience I was a big believer in Deadbolts until I saw what these guys did.  Clever!

247homesecurity

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • 24/7 Home Security
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »
This stuff is all over Youtube for the burglar that cares too look for it.  You could buy a hardened, unconventional deadbolt for $250+ that might prevent an attack if you weren't in a rental.  But, a loud alarm is a lot cheaper and should be effective since you have close neighbors.

tsiunltdus

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
I would suggest a wireless alarm system that secures to your door. When the door is opened it will set off the alarm. They also work on windows.