Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

123 Guests, 1 User
apetrov1x5

Author Topic: Network connection issue with the DMP XR100n !!  (Read 6376 times)

sos411

• View Profile
Network connection issue with the DMP XR100n !!
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:47:19 PM »
I have had a painful weekend trying to fix the xr100n panel to the new wifi network that we have setup. Makes me wonder why did I do that? Anyways...

The new wifi network that we installed is a linksys 6500ac this runs with a dynamic IP system DCHP, the router is set for 192.168.1.y
The dmp xr100n panel is Lan connected to the router with the static IP 192.168.1.xxx and the gateway is the 192.168.1.y

We can connect with the systemlink/remotelink if we directly connect the computer (ip:192.168.1.y) to the panel via the network cable and not connected to any other network. Another configuration in the ip doesn't seem to work.

When we connect to the wifi network with the panel, I have gotten to the point where the router can see the panel in the devices but I can not directly connect to the panel from my computer via the network. I also tried Pinging the ip with 100% loss and no return.

Of course, I have tried a bunch of configurations on the panel and on the router, but I know I must be missing something basic. Any assistance would be appreciated. I know this is almost IT questions, but I haven't gotten much assistance from my sources. I had gotten this working about 2-3 years ago but I can't recall what the magic trick was, I just wish the connection was easier, more like a printer or a computer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:54:42 AM by sos411 »

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Network connection issue with the DMP XR100n !!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:14:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with what a xr100n is but as a long shot does it require port forwarding set up on the router?

sos411

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
Thank you for the idea.  Yes, we did try the port with no success, we even tried shutting off the firewall.. nothing.

But as weird as it is, it decided to work, for how long who knows.. but it is working today.
We didn't do anything to the system.. just showed up today, lan connected direct with no changes, and then went back to the network and it worked.
What ?!?! I have no idea.. I just hope it stays connected.

Thank you again for the help, who knows, if it doesn't stay connected I maybe back soon.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
on a similar note:  I have an XR500N that I took out, it's on my network and all seems to be ok, I can access it via remotelink on my laptop.  But I cannot get the thing to email/text me events, nor can I get the keypads to display the weather!  Even the tech at DMP was stumped!
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

kcxj

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
@sos411,  the xr100 and xr500 communicate @10mbs half duplex.  Some newer routers communicate at a higher rate or at full duplex.  You can try putting a switch inline with the panel that can support 10mbs half duplex.  Is the panel monitored?  Can it hit a receiver?

@Magnumalert,  the panel needs a cell unit to do SMS, you can do email, but most have an SMTP server that can communicate with plain authentication.  Weather should work if you can get out on the network, I'm assuming you entered your zip code in the weather option?

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:52:16 PM »
yes, I have the panel on a static IP address and can access the internet if I set my computer to that address and plug it in at the panel.  I'm not monitored though, so it's not communicating with a DMP receiver.  The weather worked once, for an hour or two, then went away and never came back!

kcxj

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »
What firmware on the XR500?

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
Version 212, from 5/6/13.

kcxj

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »
That is the firmware that was released to add the weather support.  What keypads are you using?  The weather option was released for the 7800 touchscreen, but will also display on a 7000 or 7100 series keypad.  If you are connected to the network, you should have the weather updated every hour.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »
yeah.  on the network, and it's a 7060 keypad.  one thing that may be important is it's currently not monitored, so it's not talking to a DMP receiver.

kcxj

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:22 PM »
Receiver is not needed, you only need a network or cell connection.  The panel requests weather updates on an hourly basis from a weather server.  I would try updating to the latest firmware.

luketek

• Gold Member
  • Tech of 15yrs. DMP Guru and Access Control Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:45 AM »
 try to put googles dns server ip in your network options  8.8.8.8     some routers dont hand out a valid dns address.  i came across this many times

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »
last week, I updated the firmware to the very latest available from DMP, which was released in july of this year.  It's currently version 212, released 7/7/14

I don't know what a DNS server is, so I left the addresses blank.  I'll try that one!

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 06:43:04 AM »
one odd note, I always had this on static IP and I found out that even though the IP address I assigned to the panel was within the range I had in my router, it didn't have internet access.  I could ping the panel from my laptop and upload/download via remotelink on my network, but the router wasn't allowing outbound traffic.  I did everything I could in the router settings, but it does not like static IP addresses.  So I have it now on DHCP where I know it's getting out, but still no weather or email alerts!!  grrrrrrrr

kcxj

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »
With the panel set to DHCP, the panel should receive an IP address, Gateway address, subnet mask and DNS address from the router.  You need the DNS address to be able to resolve website names rather than just IP addresses.  Try setting the IP to static with the information pulled from DHCP, just change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 as Luke had suggested.