Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

128 Guests, 1 User
dilligaff

Author Topic: Wired or Wireless?  (Read 8297 times)

dlan

• View Profile
Wired or Wireless?
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:10:05 PM »
I am in the process of buying a home under construction and negotiated with the builder to install security system for all lower level windows  and entry doors with a total of 24 zones (plus maybe another 16 for fire/carbon/pir that would have to pay for)

The builder had 2 local companies come out to give him a quote and both are suggesting wireless systems. The walls are all open and I thought for a new home anyone would prefer wired system.

Is wireless now preferred over wired?
Should I insist on a wired system?
If they are going to go all wireless should I request a Lynx integrated system or Vista?

247homesecurity

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • 24/7 Home Security
Re: Wired or Wireless?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
For new construction, I would go for wired in most places.  The connections will be more reliable in general, you won't have to change batteries in sensors every few months, and the system will be resistant to jamming and spoofing (however uncommon).

He probably wants to put in wireless because it's cheaper to install.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »
Where you have the choice ALWAYS go wired.

The builder will want you to choose wireless because he'll have no out of pocket expenses for the prewire.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

dlan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
Thanks folks that was my thoughts too. Wireless is easier for the installer and they are saying that double hung windows are better monitored by a single wireless sensor in the middle of the 2 panels.

Also saying they have to drill through the casement frame for wired and that can affect my window warranty.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
If they are pigs and ruin the frame and water gets in, then yes, a claim for wood rot might be impacted.  Of course you could then claim the damages from the installing company - it's why we buy liability insurance, though in 40 years we've never had a claim.

Keep in mind that the main reason for contacting windows is to ensure that you don't go out and inadvertently leave one open - thieves break glass.

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • No contract alarm monitoring and DIY friendly home security!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »
For new construction, I would go for wired in most places.  The connections will be more reliable in general, you won't have to change batteries in sensors every few months, and the system will be resistant to jamming and spoofing (however uncommon).

I'm not sure what systems you've worked with but no professional wireless alarm system would require battery changes every few months.

Honeywell wireless sensors last 5-7 years on average.
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
I suspect he was implying the domino effect, that when one goes (5-7 years), the others are soon to follow.  Not that they will all need to be replaced every few months.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
Well if he did mean to imply that, I would think his statement would be mis-leading to the OP and cause him to choose wired over wireless for a reason that is not true.

Comparing the cost (time and $) of replacing each battery every 5-7 years to expensive on-site service calls to troubleshoot bad/faulty wiring/wired switches makes wireless much more attractive in my mind.
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.

dlan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
Comparing the cost (time and $) of replacing each battery every 5-7 years to expensive on-site service calls to troubleshoot bad/faulty wiring/wired switches makes wireless much more attractive in my mind.

Sterling,

Would you recommend installing a wireless system in my case for 3 story home with 36 wireless zones?

What is the typical wireless range for the Lynx system? Would I have to install the main panel in the center of the home for it to provide proper coverage?

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »

I've rarely had to troubleshoot wiring OR switches . . . installing quality hardware and properly setting up splices (as in soldering and insulating them) ensures a minimum amount of service.

I have quite a few clients whose systems have over 25 years of service that have never needed more than a periodic backup battery replacement.

A service call to a client with a Vista 128 with 70 zones required all of 15 minutes to locate the problem and correct it.  And it was the magnet - the housing had cracked from age/UV exposure and the magnet literally fell out.

Same would have been an issue with a wireless system, except that we'd have had a number of additional service calls for battery replacements (the client would not be inclined to change his own batteries).

Overall reliability for wired systems is literally orders of magnitude above wireless owing to the much simpler technology and the seriously reduced design complexity - not to mention that you can't jam transmission through a wire.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:38:01 PM by bramfrank »

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
I'm not going to say that wireless is better than wired. I just wanted to be clear that both have their applications.

The LYNX Touch would certainly work in your home and I wouldn't think you would have any issues with range between the sensors and the panel. Most of the sensors have a 200' range back to the panel and you can add repeaters if needed but most single-family homes would not require a repeater.

The advantages of a LYNX over a VISTA system would be that you could actually install a LYNX system yourself and then you would save quite a bit of money as you don't have to pay for the on-site installation and depending on which local company you were getting quotes from, you would probably save quite a bit on the equipment as well as many local companies mark up the equipment much more than they should.

The LYNX Touch does pretty much everything the VISTA can do, aside from partitions. Partitions would be arming a group of zones (or area of the house) separate from another area. Unless you need that, I would think a LYNX Touch L5200 or L7000 would work quite nicely for you.

Some other advantages of the LYNX Touch over VISTA:

Supports WIFI connection instead of needing an Ethernet cable.

Adding Z-Wave to the LYNX Touch is much less expensive using the L5100-ZWAVE module instead of a Tuxedo Touch or VAM module.

Garage door control with an easy wireless relay module

Much easier system programming and system use

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »
I've rarely had to troubleshoot wiring OR switches . . . installing quality hardware and properly setting up splices (as in soldering and insulating them) ensures a minimum amount of service.

I'm sure your wired installations are top notch but unless you will be the one installing the system for the OP, that doesn't really help him.

I'm sure you know that not every installer does the quality work that you do and that bad wiring jobs are a problem in the industry.

Also, even if the system wiring is done perfectly, if that wire snags in the wall and shorts or breaks, what does the customer do then? Most likely, the same tech that touted wiring over wireless originally would would just replace the wired zone with a wireless zones at that point.

247homesecurity

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • 24/7 Home Security
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
I suspect he was implying the domino effect, that when one goes (5-7 years), the others are soon to follow.  Not that they will all need to be replaced every few months.

Roger that, a decent size house with the full complement of sensors will leave you changing batteries more regularly than I enjoy it . . . just saying.  For his situation, a mostly wired system makes the most sense to me. 

The lower complexity of components means it's more reliable.  I'll take the failure rate of a wire in a wall over a wireless sensor any day of the week unless there are extenuating circumstances to make the wiring difficult.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 02:49:56 AM »
And that is why you want to use 22/4 vs 22/2.  Circuit goes bad, you have 6 possible pair combinations to choose from vs just one.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

dlan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »
I think I understand whey the builder likes Wireless now - the local folks are quoting around $75 per wired zone and less than $50 wireless (because they don't have to drill and run homeruns everywhere).

Is that a reasonable price for wired?

If I had to go wireless would folks here recommend Lynx or Vista hybrid system?