Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

141 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Need help with EP210 controller and mag door--Update-Fixed!  (Read 1943 times)

troutdog

• Security Pro
  • If it makes sense, your doing it wrong
    • View Profile
 I have been doing security for almost 3 years and still learning everyday. This is my first access controlled system to trouble shoot. I mainly stick with home security/surveillance.  We took over security at a fitness center about a year ago and the access control door (1 door) has been working great. I don't know all the correct words to call the devices so please bare with me. The controller is a Computerwise EP210 barcode setup.

It consist of a barcode reader at the front door thats connected to the controller in the attic. There is a red light outside the door that lights when access is granted. It has a press to exit button inside that lights up when pressed to exit. There is no motion connected to this system.

The press to exit does work tho it doesn't light up. The outside reader does not unlock the door nor does it show up on the main PC the controller is networked to. It has a relay board connected through a serial port from controller that then goes out to the maglock and I believe lights.

When you scan a barcode the reader in the attic does beep and thats it. The ethernet port on the controller has no green light when plugged in. The amber stays lit all the time. Shouldn't it be green and blink amber when data is transmitted.

I did test the cat5 and confirmed internet at the controller. I can ping the controller from the pc tho no barcodes are shown on pc when one is scanned. I'm leaning towards the ehternet port on the controller is fried. Whats crazy is there were 2 more contollers just laying in the attic next to the existing one they also act the same way.
 Can some one help with maybe more troubleshooting and an idea what is going on. The controller is $595 our cost and if I'm wrong I'll be eating $600 not to mention it'll look bad.  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:31:05 PM by troutdog »

troutdog

• Security Pro
  • If it makes sense, your doing it wrong
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with EP210 controller and mag door--Update-Fixed!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
First off if you ever order from ComputerWise be repaired to wait on your equipment for awhile. It ended up being the EP210 controller and had to get another one. It's an EP310 @ $700 and was very difficult to configure. It came with no instructions tho it did come with a cd-rom with utility tools for every product they make. None of which were labeled at all. After installing several utility tools I finally found one to connect to the controller but that was the easy part. I had to configure everything from relay inputs/outputs to overlay and crap.  I finally got the door to open and I recommended to the customer if it ever fails again replace everything with an easier more user friendly access controller.