Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

117 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Self serve alarm monitoring platrofm needs beta testers  (Read 5084 times)

Trumpet

• View Profile
Self serve alarm monitoring platrofm needs beta testers
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:36:35 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm developing something that I think may be of interest to you and I'm also looking for some help.

It's a web based alarm monitoring platform called Trumpet Alarm Monitoring and you can find it at https://www.trumpetalarms.com .  This is meant for alarm systems that phone into a central station for monitoring.  There's no operator and the user gets sent the alarm events by email or text messaging. The events are also available to review on your dashboard.

I know some modern alarm systems can be configured to dial a human or pager. Those users may not be the target audience but there are other benefits. Trumpet can also be used with older existing systems and it's not our goal to sell hardware.

This has been in development for a long time and now the product is to the point where we need people testing it. Agile development is very important here and any issues will be dealt with in short order.

In return for your help you will be given free service indefinitely. The beta code for the signup form is: BETAFREE

If you can send events in Contact ID format that'll give you the best results. When you sign up you'll find the monitoring station phone number and your account number on the dashboard.

I hope this turns out to be useful for you and thanks for your time!

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Self serve alarm monitoring platrofm needs beta testers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:30:37 AM »
Even though I am in the industry, I'm pleased to a service like this becoming available . . . . . I've signed up for it and have configured my home system to dual report the features I'm interested in monitoring via SMS because I get less than informative messages from our cellular gateway and am looking for more comprehensive reporting.  The site looks to be very professionally built - of course it could all run on a Raspberry PI, such is the Internet.

A suggestion or three, if I may;

1. It would be nice if the service allowed the user to define descriptive text for the reporting zones.  My garage door will certainly generate a bit of traffic and it might be nice if I could set it to report as 'Garage', rather than "partition 2, zone 26".

2. If you could accept IP reports in OH format it would be nice.

3. 4/2?  Older, cheaper systems may not support full CID or SIA format - I saw no mention of anything except that CID is preferred.

I wish you success with the venture.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

Trumpet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
Hello, thanks for checking it out!

1) User defined names for zones / groups is definitely a feature that's coming.  Thanks for validating it as a desired feature.

2) I want to support IP reporting.  I'll need documentation on the various formats and some development time but unless the formats are very proprietary and secretive it should not be a tonne of effort to implement.

3) Yes, 4/2 is supported and it would be nice for someone to test it out.  It's a lot easier to decode and report on than CID, which has received the most attention given it's detail. Other formats are supported as well such as 3/2, 3/1, surgard, fbi, and more.  Testing of various reporting formats is one of the main goals of Trumpet beta.

Thanks again!

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
So, since it isn't mentioned, I assume that it doesn't include SIA  . . . . .

Trumpet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:18 PM »
So, since it isn't mentioned, I assume that it doesn't include SIA  . . . . .

Yes, it supports SIA as well (level 1 & 2).  However at the moment it will report the code to the user instead of the friendly meaning. That part will be in place in the next week or two.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
I was thinking about doing something like this... Glad someone did it first :P

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
The messages are a lot better than what I get from the UTC gateway - because UTC sends e-mail rather than SMS messages.

The messages are pretty good.  Here are some examples of what I got (with the account number replaced by 'xxxx':

A 'lost keypad' message comes up as:

Alarm system Home (101-xxxx) triggered System Peripheral Troubles (SYSTEM PERIPHERAL) in group 00 / zone 504 on Fri Jul 10 2015 10:50:00 EDT

A periodic test shows up as:

Alarm system Home (101-xxxx) triggered Test/Misc. (PERIODIC TEST) in group 00 / zone 000 on Fri Jul 10 2015 15:34:00 EDT

Tel line restoral:

Alarm system Home (101-xxxx) triggered Restored Communication Troubles (TELCO 1 FAULT) in group 00 / zone 000 on Mon Jul  6 2015 20:53:00 EDT

A manual test:

Alarm system Home (101-xxxx) triggered Test/Misc. (TEST) in group 00 / zone 000 on Tue Jun 30 2015 09:50:52 EDT

Bypass restore:

Alarm system Home (101-xxxx) triggered Restored Bypasses (BURG BYPASS) in group 01 / zone 007 on Sat Jul  4 2015 07:45:00 EDT

I'm not sure why the panel doesn't report the bypasses themselves, not that it much matters for purpose of testing.  And I look forward to being able to put names to the zone numbers.

Trumpet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:46:32 AM »
Thanks very much.

Naming zones will be soon and I'll post an update.

Update_My_Alarm

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
Great job on the website!

Have a suggestion:  While there is sufficient detail in SMS and e-mail notifications, is it possible to view a detailed log on the web portal?  It appears it currently only displays general info:

101-xxxx    Burglar Alarms ()    Mon Jul 13 2015 19:44:00 AKDT

Thanks!  Looking forward to seeing this evolve further!

Trumpet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »
Thanks!

Yes, that's a coming feature and will be rolled out with the naming of your zones.  Clicking through to a specific alarm event from the list will bring up the full detail and that'll also be one of the places you can name your zones. Since many people may not know their group / zones ahead of the time this will have to be one of the ways to access the naming.

Thanks for your feedback, again a point that reinforces the direction this is heading.

Update_My_Alarm

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:38 AM »
Hi,

I'm getting double alerts for the same event from time to time.  For example:

Alarm system Home #2 (101-xxxx) triggered Alarm Armed in group 01 / zone 000 on Tue Jul 21 2015 16:44:00 AKDT

Alarm system Home #2 (101-xxxx) triggered Alarm Armed in group 01 / zone 000 on Tue Jul 21 2015 16:44:00 AKDT

I'm not going to claim I know much about the phone communication, but the last time this happened, while snooping on a muted handset, it sounded like my panel transmitted the sequence more than once before I heard the kissoff tone (?? did I get the terminology right?).

Also - I just recently obtained a DSC TL260 that communicates to a Surgard - any plans for supporting that format?

DSC PC1864 v4.6

Thanks - still loving this!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:06:50 AM by Update_My_Alarm »

Trumpet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the report.  This one has been nagging and I haven't quite pinpointed the exact problem.  You raise a good point about the kissoff.  Still, if duplicate events are sent it's the intention to only send one notification.

Regarding the DSC TL260, I'd love to support that. Not quite there yet though.