Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

136 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: FSB-210B Smokes Won't Alarm PC1832 Panel  (Read 4925 times)

Mr.Natural

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
FSB-210B Smokes Won't Alarm PC1832 Panel
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
I just installed a DSC PC1832 panel with several wireless window/door contacts, motion detectors, and glassbreak senors, as well as six FSB-210B smoke detectors on a PC5100 expansion module.  The smokes are the only hardwired sensors.  The wireless devices are on zones 01-11; the smokes are on zones 12-17.  All zones are on Partition 1.

All of the wireless devices work properly.  The smokes almost work:  (1) their LEDs flash about once every 50 seconds; (2) they indicate trouble at the keypad if I unplug one or more of them; (3) the "smoke test on installer exit" (Installer Programming -> [805] -> [97] option 2 on -> exit programming) causes each detector's LED to blink a few times, then no trouble is indicated; (4) holding a magnet next to each detector's LED causes the LED to flash every few seconds, but the panel retains a ready indication and doesn't alarm; and (5) depressing the LED button has no effect (which I think is normal operation for this detector).

The smokes are programmed as zone type 88 (standard fire) with the audible/silent (1) and wireless (8) options on.   And the zones are enabled in the [202] - [204] partition assignments.  Any idea why they won't alarm the panel when I test them with a magnet?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:50:09 AM by Mr.Natural »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: FSB-210B Smokes Won't Alarm PC1832 Panel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
I have never used the addressable module.  However, I wonder if this falls under the realm of sharing hardwire and wireless zones from the same "bank".  (1-8, 9-16, etc.)

Try moving the smokes to zones 27-32 and don't put any wireless on 25 and 26 in the future.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Mr.Natural

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Mike, but it had no effect.

Since I have a wireless smoke (WS4916) that I got in a package deal at a yard sale, I tried enrolling it on an unused zone.  It successfully enrolled (type 88) , but when testing it by depressing its LED, it sounded its own warning, but didn't put the panel into alarm, just like the FSB-210Bs.  Seems like my PC1832 isn't responding properly to smoke alarms.

I just did a hardware reset of the panel (power down, short PGM 1 to Zone 1, power on for 10 seconds, power down, remove short, power up) and am now re-programming.  We'll see if that works.  If not, any other thoughts?

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 10:07:29 AM »
Have you set the wireless attribute for the addressable smoke detectors ? The wireless attribute must be set before the devices will work.

the quote below is from the PC5100 programming instructions.

3.3   Zone Programming
The AML devices will not work properly until you complete the zone and
partition programming. Select a zone definition for each used zone in
programming sections [001] [004].
You must also enable the wireless/AML zone attribute for each zone
that has been assigned to an AML device. To do this, turn ON option 8
in the appropriate programming section (one or more of sections [101]

BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
...The smokes are programmed as zone type 88 (standard fire) with the audible/silent (1) and wireless (8) options on.   And the zones are enabled in the [202] - [204] partition assignments. ...

Mr.Natural

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »
Yep - what Guyfromhe said...

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
And just confirming, are you holding the magnet in place for greater than 5 seconds?

Mr.Natural

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
Doing a hard reset and reprogramming got me back to square 1:  all the wireless contacts, motion, & glassbreaks work.

"Smoke test on installer exit" (Installer Programming -> [805] -> [97] -> Option 2 on) causes the LED on each FSB-210B to blink eight times every two seconds.  At completion, there is no fault.

Holding a magnet next to the LED on any FSB-210B or depressing the LED button on the  WS4916 for a few seconds starts the same LED sequence as above (eight flashes, two seconds apart).  I've tried holding the magnet there or keeping the LED button depressed for the whole eight-flash sequence, and it makes no difference.  The system doesn't go into alarm.

Am I correct in assuming that the magnet application on the FSB-210Bs or the LED depression on the WS4916 should alarm the system, or do they just initiate a back-and-forth communication with the panel which will throw a fault on failure but show no definitive result on success?  If the latter is the case, I guess I need to get a good cigar and try blowing some smoke.

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
Have you tried the canned smoke test spray ? Below is a link where I found it for about 10.00 .

http://testproducts.com/25oz-smoke-check-canned-smoke-tests-smoke-check-p-32.html
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

Mr.Natural

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
Well, for ten bucks, I think I'll opt for an excuse to toke on a stogie for the first time in years.

Can anyone answer my question about how the smoke detector self-test is supposed to work (i.e., whether or not it's supposed to put the panel into alarm)?  It's surprising to me that DSC's documentation sometimes goes into excessive detail, but the only indication of how to test a smoke detector is a picture with a magnet next to the LED - no time requirements, no description of results, no nothin'.

Billy_C

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »
In general, a smoke detector self-test simulates what would happen if there was a fire.

Basically the alarm system should be set off to notify the occupants there is a fire and a signal sent to the monitoring station if the alarm is monitored.

Note some systems have a "verify feature" or "optional verify feature". That is you need to set off the smoke detector once. Then the system automatically resets the smoke detector. Then you need to set off the smoke detector again. THEN the system goes into alarm. That feature requires the smoke detector to go into alarm twice in a short period of time. This feature prevents false alarms.

I don't know if your system has that verify feature or not? But I have that turned on with my system. To test my particular smoke detectors, I set it off, get a red light on the smoke detector, the system resets the smoke detector and the red light goes out. Then I again set off the smoke detector and after about 30 seconds, it again alarms [red light] and my alarm system THEN goes into alarm - sirens squealing, my dogs run for cover, the phone lines are seized and the system dials the central station.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
Ok, I just called DSC and this is what they told me to trigger an alarm on the addressable smokes.  In essence, leave the system as if it were in normal operation.  Asking about 805 subsection 97, they advised to leave both options 1 and 2 OFF.  (For that matter, I'd leave 3 and 4 off as well.)  At each detector, place the magnet at the test location.  After 5 seconds the alarm (siren) will sound and signal transmitted if programmed.

(Side note regarding the test button.  From the literature, it sounds as though that button is for resetting drift compensation.)

Mr.Natural

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Billy_C - My system does have an option that you describe, but I'm not using it.  I've set the fire zone to alarm immediately upon violation.

Mike - your efforts sure went above and beyond the call of duty.  Thanks!

I took one last shot at testing the smokes with all [805] -> [97] options off.  Still no system alarm.  So here's where I am now:

I can't believe that all seven smoke detectors are faulty, especially considering that six are on an addressable loop and one is wireless.  The odds of that happening are miniscule.

I also don't believe that the PC5100 addressable zone expander is at fault, since all the addressable smokes report a fault if they're unplugged, and performing a smoke test ([805] -> [97] -> option 2 on) initiates the test as evidenced by all the smokes' LEDs blinking eight times.  This tells me that the PC5100 is communicating with all the addressable devices.

That only leaves the PC1832 control board, which seems a likely culprit, since the system is failing to alarm when either type of smoke detector is set off.

If anyone thinks otherwise or has an alternate suggestion, I'd love to hear it.  Otherwise, I'm going to bid on a replacement PC1832 board on eBay later today.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 02:35:11 AM »
Whoa... So a wireless smoke is not tripping the panel either?

I'd try simulating a normal hardwire smoke on a panel zone (1-8) using a 5600 ohm resistor and see if it will alarm.  Make sure it is type 08 with only option 1 on in the zone attributes.

Update_My_Alarm

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 03:04:18 AM »
Just curious - while your AML/wireless smoke detectors are in alarm, is there any indication of activity on your keypads?  Faults? Zone violations?  Trouble?

Or anything in the event logs?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:09:59 AM by Update_My_Alarm »