Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

111 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: wiring in vista 20p from brinks  (Read 16068 times)

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
wiring in vista 20p from brinks
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »
Probably a dumb question... But the vista 20 has Hi and Lo for each zone.. and the brinks board had the (Zone #) and then (-)....
Is the (Zone #) the Hi and the (-) the Lo?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: wiring in vista 20p from brinks
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:18:26 PM »
Not a dumb question, and yes, Vista "Lo" is the ground side of the loop, which is (-), negative.

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »
Ok cool Thanks.
So far I have the board wired in. I kept most of the zones paired the exact same way they were, Except for 1 pairing... But the manual showed 1 and 2 to be separate and not paired.
The previous board had those paired, so I wired them separate. and in order to keep the rest of the zones paired per the pairing sequence in the manual I skipped one of the zones.. 4 I think. Is that ok to skip a zone?

Once I plugged it in.. the keypad said there was an alarm at zone 5(fire)... But I haven't programed the board yet.. So I guess I have some programming to do.

So far so good fellas?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:04:43 AM »
Ok cool Thanks.
So far I have the board wired in. I kept most of the zones paired the exact same way they were, Except for 1 pairing... But the manual showed 1 and 2 to be separate and not paired.
The previous board had those paired, so I wired them separate. and in order to keep the rest of the zones paired per the pairing sequence in the manual I skipped one of the zones.. 4 I think. Is that ok to skip a zone?

By "pairing," I gather you mean zones that share a common ground. The pairing isn't important. With the possible exception of Zone 1, all grounds on the board are common--that means that you -could- connect any ground side of a zone loop to any ground terminal, regardless of zone. But don't do it, only because the wiring would get confusing and increase the chance of error.
Short version: There's no need nor advantage to keep the zones paired as before. I would stick with keeping the zone numbers the same.

Once I plugged it in.. the keypad said there was an alarm at zone 5(fire)... But I haven't programed the board yet.. So I guess I have some programming to do.

The V-20P panel comes with a default program already in place. The 8 on-board zones are already programmed with a default type zone, some of which you will need to change when you program--you can see the default of each zone in the programming guide that came (I hope) with the panel. I think Z5's default is a fire zone, but you shouldn't see an alarm on it unless it's shorted--which it would be if you connected a NC loop on it with no EOL Resistor.

Are you planning to use EOLR's on your burglary zones/ loops, or program them as NC? If you don't understand the question, then post back and one of us will explain.

Not really important which right now, but if you have a fire zone, it will need to have a 2 K-Ohm End of Line Resistor (EOLR) on the last device, same as with your Brinks panel, only the Brinks has a different value resistor. That's if you have a fire zone.
I recommend putting in on Zone 1, which is best for the fire zone. Other than that, you can leave the other zones as they are now.

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
Don't totally understand the question... But I am not going to have a fire zone. As far as I can see there are no resistors at all. You think I should add them? If I need to how shall I?

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the assistance thus far guys.. You guy are really helping. I really appreciate it.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »
The panel probably came with a little bag of resistors..

If you put them at the end of the line (at the sensor) in series your system is able to monitor the wiring so if a wire gets shorted and the zone would not be able to report a fault (when the door opens, etc) the panel would report a trouble condition.

He as asking if you were planning on adding those resistors or just programming the panel to not expect them.

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
The board did come with the resistors. You say at the sensor.. But all the sensors are already installed in my house so I assume I cant do that. Are they a big deal? But do I need them?
I can see how they would be important to help in the aid of when a wire has gone bad. Can I put them on the end of the wire near the panel?
All doors are wired so there is a button in the frame and all of the windows were done normally, but it was all done years back so adding resistors to the sensor area would be near impossible.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
You can put them on the end or in the panel but that basically defeats the purpose, the wire will only be supervised from the point of the resistor to the panel so if the wire shorts at the sensor the panel won't notice it.

If the sensors are hard to get to I wouldn't worry about it too much although they are nice in residential applications they are more useful in commercial ones where a potential burglar would come in and mess with the wires during the day.

You should test the system regularly to make sure everything is working as expected.

They are also fairly important in life safety devices like smoke and CO detectors (in commercial and residential) so home owners are alerted if the wiring fails on a detector but since you don't have an of these you don't need to worry.

If you put the resistors in the panel you can use the EOLR option for your zones otherwise just use the NC option (you will see these options when you get to programming)

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »
Awesome.. Sounds good. Thanks "Guy" and everyone else thus far. Gonna get started on the programming here in a little bit.. Should be fun. Lol
Any pointers or certain helpful facts or things to look out for?

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Take the physical programming manual and read it cover to cover.

There will be little blanks left in each field, write down the option you want for each item.

There is also several worksheets on the back for zone programming, make sure you have those all filled out.

If you don't understand an option ask now before you start programming. You don't want to be half way through and get stuck.

Then just go through the options in order following the map you created in the book it will speed up the programming process and stop you from getting confused and at the end you will have a list of all your settings in case you have problems or need to default/replace the system in the future.

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the help and tips Guy... Just about to start... Getting nervous! LOL.
Cant wait to get it done and finished. Nothing better than tackling something like this with no experience and knocking it out.

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
So I read the manual and filled out the checklist so that I pretty much know what I am going to choose for the set up. I was wondering.. There are a couple things that didn't make a whole lot of sense and I was just going to choose no or the equivalent..
When doing the data field programming does it start at the lowest number and go to the next after each option is chosen? Can I skip ones that I am unsure about or do I have to pick something for every single number.. Like 20 to 170 or so.. The few that I didn't get I was going to choose no Or if possible just skip over it.. But wasn't sure if I could skip any. Can I skip any? Or will it screw something up and not complete the set up? Mainly the things pertaining to the phone line and stuff. I am not going to hook the system up to a phone line and it is not going to be monitored.. So those were the ones I was unsure about.

So once I go through all those and select each zone and designate what type of zone it is... That's pretty much it.. right?

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
By default after you enter a value it goes to the next consecutive space.
So if you go to section 20 and enter your selection it will end up at section 21.  Having the book and choices handy will speed it up because you won't need to enter each section number.

You can however choose to go to section 22 instead for example by entering 22 but if you had to program 21 anyway it will have already entered the 21 for you so it saves you keystrokes.

If you don't program a value the defaults will be used (shown in square brackets in the manual)

You shouldn't have to worry too much about the phone line if you aren't getting it monitored.. Just so you know there's a dude here posting about a beta service that offers self monitoring of your system if you do hook it up to your phone line.

His site is https://www.trumpetalarms.com/ I don't know if he's still offering the lifetime beta tester subscriptions but if you search for that url on this forum you should find the beta code if it still works.

If you want clarification on a field just ask.

pinthetail

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:18:56 AM »
Thanks Guy... Man I feel like I really owe you one here.
Going to program her tomorrow. I keep procrastinating the programming cause I don't want to start it and screw up. Gonna bite the bullet tomorrow and freaking start it already.