Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

170 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Which Brand & Model of Smokes to Replace GE/ESL 449CSTE ?  (Read 2778 times)

mjenergy

• View Profile
Which Brand & Model of Smokes to Replace GE/ESL 449CSTE ?
« on: October 03, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »
My current alarm system is a Ademco Vista-20P.  There are 6 - GE/ESL 449CST & 1- GE/ESL 449CSTE (located at the end) smokes.  I need to replace the GE/ESL 449CSTE since it has failed.  I have researched and found the following two replacements:

1. System Sensor 4WTA-B & EOL Relay A77-716B
2. ESL 541NCSXTE

Is it ok to have two different brands of detectors in the same loop?  Does anyone have a recommendation of another brand and model of smokes that would be better than I have found?

Thanks

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Which Brand & Model of Smokes to Replace GE/ESL 449CSTE ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
There is no technical problem with having two different brands of smoke sensor in the same loop. We do it all the time.

I don't know how important it is to you, but the only issue you might run into is aesthetic. The old 445C series was the widest sensor in the industry and often left a large "footprint" where it's mounted, and smaller smokes won't cover it.

IF that's a problem for you, you might still be able to find a replacement 449CST on Amazon or eBay, to cover the footprint. There's nothing wrong with older smokes as long as they've been kept in their boxes. What makes smoke sensors eventually fail is nearly always being exposed to air, which lets fine dust collect in the target chamber. Keeping a smoke sensor new-in-box keeps it from "aging".

Right now, I see a 449CST on eBay with pix indicating it was kept in the box and looks like the terminal strip is still attached to the plastic cover. The only difference between a 449CST and the CSTE is the 2k-Ohm EOL Resistor you'd need to attach.
That's IF the footprint is a problem for you.

I mention this because I had a lot of customers freak out when I tried to replace their old 445's and 449's with a more compact model and the footprint stood out on the ceiling around it. I actually bought up extra 445's against the day they'd be out of production.