Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

140 Guests, 1 User
dannyb

Author Topic: Programmable relay for difficult EOL locations. Any demand?  (Read 3989 times)

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
Programmable relay for difficult EOL locations. Any demand?
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
As some of you know, I encountered a situation last year where I had to swap a Silent Knight panel in a very large home.  They had 14K resistors buried in 1/4 contacts in many zones.  The situation caused a lot of headaches at the company.

I'll get to the point.  I have a concept for a 4-zone pass-through module that could easily be programmed for specific field resistance, and operate dry-contact relays based on the current zone state.  This would allow an installer to wire everything at the panel during a swap without having to go resistor hunting (fire excluded). Even in a case not as extreme as my 14K-1K, it would save a lot of labor.  Not only that, but you wouldn't lose proper supervision that a resistor at the end of the line gives.

I haven't been in this business long enough to know if this is actually an issue that people want addressed.  Would there be any demand for this?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Programmable relay for difficult EOL locations. Any demand?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
It's a good idea but, sadly, I doubt there would be enough demand to make it practical to market. Situations like that are just too few and far between. And unfortunately, I've seen too many managers who didn't seem to appreciate how much they spend on labor to save a few bucks in equipment.

I've had an idea of my own for years for retrofitting difficult old wiring, and haven't bothered to follow up because the call for it is so infrequent.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:44:07 PM by ChosunOne »

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »
Plus getting it UL rated for fire/life safety equipment would probably cost a small fortune.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »
Plus getting it UL rated for fire/life safety equipment would probably cost a small fortune.
Actually, a rather large fortune. Enough for _me_ to retire on. I'm out of date on this, but last I heard there was still no UL rated siren+cabinet for UL rated security systems, so they had to use bells (!!). I haven't had to work with UL burg systems for decades, but back then the holdup on listing sirens was that nobody wanted to spend the $$$$$$$ it would take to get a siren+enclosure UL-listed _for_ a UL system because UL-listing isn't like patenting it: After it's listed, anybody can make, market, and use it.

But as I said, I haven't kept up to date on this. If there are sirens UL-listed to use in UL burg systems now, I'd like to hear about it.

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
I'm not too familiar with UL rating for security, I thought that was more a requirement for fire?  Do you need a UL listing to sell any device for a security system?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:28:41 PM by djm227 »

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:28:33 PM by djm227 »

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:21 PM »
I'm not too familiar with UL rating for security, I thought that was more a requirement for fire?  Do you need a UL listing to sell a product that works with a security-only panel?

I'm pretty sure you don't. My apologies, that was kind of taking the thread off on a tangent. 

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
Oh I didn't see the fire excluded part, I thought I read fire included thus the UL thing.

For res installs I don't think UL cert would be that important... My bad.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
I have seen some indoor sirens like the Wave2 carry some form of a UL listing.  That could be residential fire and commercial burglary only though.  and not something you wanted to use outdoors like the grade-A mercantile bell.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Eh, you're right probably no market for it.  I'm still going to build it as a project and see how it works, I'll post it here when it's done and if anyone wants to try it I'll send one or two out for testing.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
Couldn't cost that much to build...