Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

64 Guests, 1 User
theTastyCat

Author Topic: Trying to reuse a pro installed NX-6-V2 system  (Read 8415 times)

mordor417

• View Profile
Trying to reuse a pro installed NX-6-V2 system
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »
My house has a GE NX-6-V2 control panel and a NX-1448E keypad. All the wires were disconnected when I moved in. I hooked up the cable, keypad, and the motion sensor. However, the keypad (NX-1448E) beeps non-stop. When I hit a key, it will stop, and then after a couple seconds start beeping again. I hit *8 and entered the default installer code 9713 and it got rid of the enter code prompt. However I noticed the "Service" text blinking and then a couple seconds later it started beeping non-stop again. I looked at the manual and online, but I couldn't find what the non-stop beeping means. Not sure if 9713 is the right installer code, but it did rid of the prompt. I'm assuming the keypad is still locked out as it has no service as indicated by its blinking text. Anyone have any insight on this? I really want to reuse this system.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to reuse a pro installed NX-6-V2 system
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
It sounds like the data lead is disconnected - try connecting the 3 wires from the keypad to the panel directly to see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:23:59 PM by bramfrank »
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
It sounds like the data lead is disconnected - try connecting the 3 wires from the keypad to the panel directly to see what happens.

I don't have any spare wires at the moment. The wires running through my walls shouldn't have any problems, I tested all of them with a multimeter. There is a Pos, Com, and Data on both the control panel and keypad. I have a Red, Black and Green wire. Red to Pos, Black to Com, Green to Data. Does that sound right?

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
In theory.   I would remove the keypad from the wall, disconnect the wires from the data buss terminals and connect it directly - if there's a partial short of the data pin it would screw things up - and a constantly beeping keypad is one symptom of a device not communicating with the control.

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:32 PM »
I just tried it, same issue.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »
Well, the best way to figure this out is to suck the parameters from the panel and look at them in the DL900 program,  You'll need a 586 and a copy of the software, or if you can connect the panel to a phone line, set it up for 2 call bypass  and provide the code (likely at default, so no issue), perhaps I can dial in and grab them for you.  The buck for the call I can handle.

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »
Well, the best way to figure this out is to suck the parameters from the panel and look at them in the DL900 program,  You'll need a 586 and a copy of the software, or if you can connect the panel to a phone line, set it up for 2 call bypass  and provide the code (likely at default, so no issue), perhaps I can dial in and grab them for you.  The buck for the call I can handle.

The cost of a 586 is as much as a new control panel. I think I'm just going to save myself trouble and purchase a new panel. That way I can also setup extra wireless sensors. I was thinking the Honeywell Vista20p. But one problem I found is the keypad (Honeywell 6160) has 4 wires, while I only have 3 running through my house. How can I possibly use it?

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 02:08:50 AM »
You can add wireless sensors to the NX6, and if you can't figure out the Caddx panel you likely won't be able to figure out the Vista.

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
I know it can use wireless sensors, but the receiver for it is hard to find, and costs too much. It's a little old, so I feel a clean, new setup would be better. I know you gave me two options, I just don't see that it's worth the money and effort. I appreciate your help, but try and convince me to setup the NX6, I just don't see any benefits doing so. I also plan on adding the ability to be remotely controlled by a smartphone and automatically text/call. I couldn't find any modules for the NX-6 that could do so. If it was an easy fix, I will likely continue with it.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
The receiver is easy to find, or you if you prefer can change the keypad to an NX-148E-RF and since UTC (who own Caddx) makes the wireless hardware for Ademco (and almost everyone else) I suspect that 'age' is a non-issue, especially considering that the Vista is at least as old as the NX series.  Not to mention that replacing the control would cost more than the receiver.  And you can get smartphone access and e-mail notifications with a subscription if you install an NX-595.  Or you can use an Alarms.com modem and subscription of you like spending money every month.  Then there's the fact that you don't have enough conductors for the Ademco keypad.

It sounds to me like you are just looking for an excuse to spend money.  The NX series is rock solid and does literally everything anyone else does and more - the new 1800 series keypads are amazing, though to use them fully does imply you would want to have a 595 in your system.

For my part, if I had a home system that was small enough to be properly supported by an NX-6, then that's what I would use.  I prefer the NX-8e, which is my supplementary panel in my home and is used for all sorts of things including driving my X10 home automation (my primary is a really old Moose 2000 - and THAT is a brick of a panel.

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:11:53 AM »
Okay, I'm a little convinced now. Good advice. So I suppose I will try and get the NX-6 sorted out. The alarm system was setup and monitored by a local alarm company. Its been installed for nearly 11 years, and disconnected for 8. I just now got around to setting up an alarm system. Just be sure, disconnecting from the monitoring company will not cause this issue or any other issue would it? I looked around and some claim that disconnecting from the monitoring service will disable the panel.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:30:26 AM »
The panel could be locked remotely by the alarm company on termination of the account, but that would be morally reprehensible if the panel was owned by the subscriber - We will lock out keypad codes for deadbeat customers as a mechanism to force them to make their accounts current, but on a validly terminated contract we will deprogram the reporting and default the programming code.

How about asking the company for the code?

It is conceivable that the alarm company changed the access codes (in fact it would be foolish if they didn't) and/or that they did restrict access. 

If they won't work with you or want to charge for the privilege and if you've been reading the manual you know that local programing of sections of the panel can be locked out as well and that ALL local programming can be disabled.

While there is a way to unlock the board after which you could reset the codes and then work with the device, it is something done on occasion as a favor by one member here from Europe and requires that you have the 586 programming adapter. 

For the $40 it costs, I'd replace the board. 

And if I was considering possible future expansion I'd probably replace it with an NX-8V2 which is similar in function, but supports 48 zones, or an NX-8e which supports 192 zones and also has a couple of programmable relays on board, both models are the same physical size as the NX-6.

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
I don't need that many zones as I only have 3 wired doors and one wired motion sensor. So I'm thinking about buying a new NX-6 over again. I found plenty for around $40-$45. I don't have a landline, and I think it's a better option than buying the 586 for the same price to sort it out. Considering the fact that it's not 100% I will fix it using it. I will then add an NX-148E-RF for a second keypad and the ability to use wireless sensors. What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:53:45 PM by mordor417 »

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 01:05:39 AM »
That'll work.  Or, if you don't really need the second keypad, the NX-548 receiver is less expensive than the keypad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:28:44 PM by bramfrank »

mordor417

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »
Okay, long story short, my original NX-6-V2 actually works. All I had to do was hit 1234 and it stopped the beeping. That was the disarm code I believe, and the installer code, 9713 works too. It looks like everything is left on default. I wired everything up, 4x doors, 1 x motion sensor. I only used one resistor to close off Zone 6, and didn't bother with the other zones. Let me know if that is done right. At the keypad, I can do *8, 9713, 0# to get into programming mode. However, I'm not sure what I did but after exiting programming mode ( I didn't touch anything), the keypad would make the chime sound and some other beeps, and then it will switch from Ready to Not Ready and the text for all my zones start flashing. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in and it would do the same thing.

Edit: Do remember my keypad is the NX-1448E

Edit 2: I understand that the Zone 1-5 icon flashing means they are open, but I don't understand how. I rewired it, there's no way they are all open. Some of the connections are definitely correct. To summarize again, the Not Ready icon along with Zone 1-5 are flashing. There is no service icon on, and the only other icon on is the Power icon.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:06:31 PM by mordor417 »