PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

133 Guests, 2 Users
ChosunOne,
JED

Author Topic: Need help receiving program with a D5200 Programmer on an 8112 G2  (Read 2079 times)

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I pulled an 8112 G2 from a customer during an upgrade.  Good panel, and I have installer codes if needed.  I have very little Radionics experience, and would like to learn how to program this panel.

If I understand correctly, the panel is designed for use with an L5100 programmer, but can be programmed with an L5200.  I have an L5200, here's how far I've gotten:

-Power up panel
-Plug in programmer to panel
-Navigate to 8112 handler
-Highlight 8112G2 handler
-Reset panel
-Click the RECV button
-Programmer says "Receiving" for a second, then the screen says "A0>2G" and every button just types random letters.  I thought this may be just a way to name the new upload, but I can't find a way to exit.

So far my Radionics learning isn't going very well!  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Need help receiving program with a D5200 Programmer on an 8112 G2
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 04:59:53 AM »
The Radionics 8112 G2 revision was released in mid-1992. One of its prominent features is that the programming of each panel is restricted to only those programmers "authorized" to access them---basically, any given vendor's panels can be accessed only through the programmers (L5100 or L5200) whose CPU has the access code of that particular vendor, so the panels were essentially proprietary for that vendor. 

That's the way I understood it. The company I worked for at the time were ready to take any tech to court if he claimed to have lost his programmer, because it "contained their customer base." Basically, it was made for the dealer to prevent takeovers like what you want to do. Radionics wasn't just DIY-unfriendly, it was downright DIY-HOSTILE.

About the only way I know to use that panel would be to substitute an earlier version ( I seem to remember E1 and E2 but not sure) CPU, which would accept programming from any L5100 or L5200. Your G2 version won't.  But even if you could find an earlier version CPU chip, I question the economics of restoring a Radionics panel from the early 90's instead of just buying a Honeywell/Ademco Vista-20, Vista-20Se or Vista-20P off eBay and being able to program through its Alpha keypad, and have all the peripheral parts readily available to customize the system.

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »
Thanks for the info, I had heard of that lockout but did now know it applied specifically to the G2 version of this panel.

The 8112 G2 was installed and serviced by the company I work for, and the L5200 programmer was given to me by the same company.  I would imagine the L5200 I have has the correct vendor code (though it's possible I was not given one of the companies original programmers).  Is this garbled text (A0>2G) what you would expect with a lockout?

Just to clear things up, I'm not going to be installing this panel.  I want to use it to practice Radionics programming, since we still have a lot of Rad and Bosch panels out there.  I don't want to be the technician that can't complete a simple code or zone change on a Radionics service call.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:07:25 AM »
To be honest, I haven't programmed a Radionics panel since the 90's, so I'm afraid I can't help you, djm.  I even finally got rid of all my Radionics manuals after I realized that I was never going to try to keep any of those old panels alive. So while I can remember some specific things, I don't remember the (A0>G2) code.

Unfortunately, since Radionics/Bosch is so DIY-hostile, I haven't seen very many Bosch techs on here. You might get lucky, though.

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:37:35 PM »
No worries, I'll find someone at the warehouse to ask.   We still have a couple of guys that still service this stuff, and even install new Bosch panels once in a while.