Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

114 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Napco Magnum Alert 1000 - stopped working, multiple zones  (Read 2191 times)

944stdk

• View Profile
Napco Magnum Alert 1000 - stopped working, multiple zones
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
Hi all,
system is from 1992, all original.
We donít use it all the time, but earlier this year it worked OK. Now, there is a ď2″ flashing along with flashing Alarm, Status and Bypass. Other times the ď1″ is flashing along with flashing Alarm, Status and Bypass.

I changed the battery a few weekends ago. System didnít react, but that evening there was a steady tone coming from the alarm inside the house (near doorbell alarm, not the loud one in the attic) and the same lights were flashing on the Napco keypad. As soon as I disconnected the battery, the tone stopped.

I found my RP1000eLCD Operating Guide today. I pressed/held the 9 key to reset, and that clears the flashing. As soon as I reactivate the alarm and test it by opening a door, I get the normal solid tone sound, but when I enter the security code, the ď2″ and Alarm, Status and Bypass flash again along with solid tone sound from the keypad. I can turn that off by holding the 9 key again.
Any suggestions or help appreciated!
Thanks

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Napco Magnum Alert 1000 - stopped working, multiple zones
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
The 2 indicates a low battery.  I believe that once the battery has been replaced, you have to hold down the 1 key to initiate a battery test, in order for the panel to "see" the new battery.  If this isn't done, the trouble will never go away. Once it detects the battery has been restored, you'll stop seeing the 2, bypass, status, and alarm indicators when arming and disarming.

I believe the 1 indicates an AC power loss.  If you're seeing this but you know that everything is ok, the panel could be beginning to flake out.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

944stdk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

I just tried that - holding down 1 key on the pad, in several different times and ways...no luck.  Still arms ok, but when re-entering and disarming, displays '2' and the LEDs flash.

Any ideas?
Appreciate the help!

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 05:26:07 PM »
Make sure the battery is actually good.  A load test is the best way, but without a load tester, you could just disconnect the AC power from the panel and read the voltage of the battery.  It should read around 13.6 with the panel AC power connected, and shouldn't drop too far below ~13ish with the AC transformer disconnected.

Could also be a fuse.  I'd check the fuses on the board, they normally have little plastic tabs attached to pull them out.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Mikealarm

• Security Guru
  • 45 years as a tech, Worked for Napco & Alarmnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »
Power down panel then power back up, then try holding down the 1 key till it beeps that checks the battery and the siren
Which puts a load on the battery.