Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

150 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: VAM and the Fibaro Flood Sensor  (Read 1946 times)

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
VAM and the Fibaro Flood Sensor
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:58 AM »
I purchased a Fibaro Flood Sensor device for my VAM but I could not get it to connect properly to the VAM. This device is not on honeywell's Z-wave device list but the flood sensor docs said it was compatible with all Z-Wave controllers. I tried connecting it twice once in a remote location and once right up next to the VAM controller. The result was the same in both cases. a secured network not supported message and connection failed. Then I couldn't remove the device by the usual methods, I had to reset the VAM several times to get things back to normal. Possibly I just got a defective device but in case that's not the problem, I just wanted to alert people that there could be a potential compatibility issue here. All my other devices connect and remove cleanly!

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • No contract alarm monitoring and DIY friendly home security!
Re: VAM and the Fibaro Flood Sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »
The VAM won't work with Z-Wave "sensors" and only works with Z-Wave control devices.

You should use a Honeywell wired or wireless flood sensor instead of the Z-Wave flood sensor.

Once you have the proper flood sensor setup, the VAM could be used with a Z-Wave water control valve so that when the flood alarm is triggered, the VAM shuts off the water to the home through control of the valve.

The incompatibility has to do with a difference in Z-Wave class designation. At this time, Z-Wave isn't reliable enough to pass UL testing for security devices that can activate your Honeywell system and therefore, Z-Wave can only be used for home automation.
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:50:24 AM »
Interesting, I never really thought about that because there must obviously be other Z-wave controllers that do process Z-wave sensor input otherwise these Z-wave sensor devices would not exist. On the Fibaro site its says the firmware version of the controller must be at least 3.2 or higher. As best I could determine, the firmware version on the VAM is only 1.1. I wonder if this isn't just another example of Honeywell being stuck in the past, behind the times, and not keeping up with the latest cutting edge industry standards rather than being a UL thing. One things for sure, it's a real shame! 

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
Honeywell is behind the times if you want proper automation you should be using a dedicated controller like the Vera, the VAM is basically a hack.

If you need wireless flood sensors you can really just use a $9 5816 wireless door/window contact, 2 pieces of scrap wire and a couple screws to make a water sensor and it's about $40 cheaper and can be monitored via your actual alarm...

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
Interesting, I never really thought about that because there must obviously be other Z-wave controllers that do process Z-wave sensor input otherwise these Z-wave sensor devices would not exist. On the Fibaro site its says the firmware version of the controller must be at least 3.2 or higher. As best I could determine, the firmware version on the VAM is only 1.1. I wonder if this isn't just another example of Honeywell being stuck in the past, behind the times, and not keeping up with the latest cutting edge industry standards rather than being a UL thing. One things for sure, it's a real shame!

The systems you refer to are sold through retail channels and are home automation systems trying to double as security systems. Professional alarm manufacturers must account for the liability involved with actual security systems and therefore are a different animal all together.
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »
I thought about going with a different home automation system as I was somewhat aware of the VAM's limitations but I decided to give the VAM a try for the following reasons. First, I already have a Vista Alarm System and the VAM allowed me to use my existing alarm sensors in various home automation control schemes. The VAM also gave me a way to monitor and control my alarm system over the internet without having to use a pay service like Total Connect 2. Of course, it is fully compatible with Total Connect 2 giving me the second option of controlling both my alarm system and home automation schemes from a single unified web location. Of course, that would cost me money! The integration of alarm and home automation really appealed to me as I didn't want to have two different systems to deal with. Lastly, there is always the possibility that Honeywell will improve their product and bring it into line with the marketplace although I admit, that's probably a bit of a long shot, wishful thinking on my part.
  Can you really use a 5816 contact as a water sensor? How reliable would that be since water is sometimes not a good conductor of electricity? I wonder if anyone has actually done this, I would be interested in hearing how it worked out?   

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
  Can you really use a 5816 contact as a water sensor? How reliable would that be since water is sometimes not a good conductor of electricity? I wonder if anyone has actually done this, I would be interested in hearing how it worked out?

I would recommend using the 5821 with an FP280 probe instead.

Is it really worth saving $40 to hack together a solution that may fail when needed?

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »
You can use an Envisalink or alarmdecoder to integrate your alarm with a proper automation system...

I have actually done this! I have a 5816 with wires in my floor drain since I had issues there before... It hasn't actually flooded again since the problem, but I have tested the probe in rain water as it poured into the drain from outside and it tripped it just fine (I had the same concern), as well as every time I pour tap water down the drain I get an alert...

I've also deployed wire based sensors in my laundry room attached to a Raspberry Pi and they all tested just fine...

Most water has enough contaminants in it to close a circuit as long as you aren't monitored a distiller water cooler it will probably trip it... If you are worried about it and don't mind spending the extra dough the proper way is really the proper way...  It's much better than some random z-wave device too as the alarm system can monitor it...

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 04:49:21 AM »
My old panel was a Vista 128B and the website for the Envisalink says it is compatible with a Vista 128P. I e-mailed them about this and they said the Vista 128B was definitely not compatible with their Envisalink product! My new panel is a Vista 128 BPT so I'm not sure about this one. I emailed them but have not received a response back as of yet. I find these similar sounding model numbers confusing as Honeywell does a very poor job explaining what all those letter designations after the 128 actually mean. I know the T stands for Turbo but I have no idea what the B or P refer to.

RichardFaire

• View Profile
    • Лечение спины
VAM and the Fibaro Flood S
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 02:40:24 AM »
Yes and its very cool   It looks big in the pictures/videos but in reality its tiny