Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

58 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Security advice for aging parents  (Read 125 times)

Jeromesmith

• View Profile
Security advice for aging parents
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »
Hai friends,
I am the only child of my parents. My parents are aged and both of them are diabetic. I'm working and leave home early in the morning and reach back only by night. I know it's not fair to leave my parents alone but I'm left with no other option. Recently I came across an article titled 5 security tips for a personal caregiver(http://cspalarms.ca/blog/security/5-security-tips-for-a-personal-caregiver/). It says that the primary role as a personal caregiver is to ensure that the home of the person you’re caring for is safe. Depending on the age, mobility and mental capacity of the person you’re administering care to, you may need to take certain precautions so that the home is a safe environment. I have heard about medical panic pedants. Are they reliable? Will they send alert messages promptly? All suggestions are welcome.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Security advice for aging parents
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:40:19 AM »
Yes they are reliable.  Normal ones need to be within range of the receiver at the house, 100-200 feet nominally.  2-way voice is a valuable service where the central station can talk with them without them needing to get to a phone.

There are companies that also support GPS location service if they are mobile and leave the house.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »
There are several variants of the medical pendant out there, but most of them are rented against a contract and they get epensive over time..

You can get an app for a cell phone, which provides wider area coverage than the traditional 'plugged into the home phone line' systems.

And in the 'at home' systems you can choose from a monitored solution like the one from Philips, or, as an option you can elect a self-monitored solution where the device will call through a series of preprogrammed numbers, the last of which would be 911.

One nice feature of this latter solution is that the pendant is also a cordless cellphone and it supports multiple devices, like pendants for each of your parents, and fixed stations, which can be put in places like the bathroom.

As a cellphone the pendant can be used to answer incoming calls and you don't need to be in acoustic range of the base station as you do with the Philips system.  And you just buy the system once.  It's what I got for my father in his later years (I still have it sitting in it's box).

Here's a link:  https://www.logicmark.com/products/unmonitored/freedom-alert/

Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

cynthia123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:24:18 AM »
Yes, there are several ways of keeping aged parents safe at home. Find a reliable and useful one. I am here for a safety advice for myself as I have to work late in my office.