PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

124 Guests, 2 Users
murphy62,
Std

Author Topic: Intermittent VAM issue  (Read 2321 times)

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent VAM issue
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
I got my alarm company to contact Honeywell about this issue and they say I should change the device address of the VAM from 6 (current device address) to 1. Does this make sense to anybody or is Honeywell just grasping at straws here and giving me the run around? I'm reluctant to get into this because address 1 is currently being used for my main 6160 keypad and to be honest I'm not quite sure how to reset the device address on this keypad. I don't think there are any easy to access DIP switches for the keypad. Also I'm concerned if I move it to a higher address like 6, it might not like it? Isn't it normal to assign device address 1 or 2 to your keypads? What do you guys think I should do here, follow honeywell's suggestion or ignore it? I don't understand why the VAM would not work just as well on device address 6 as on device address 1? It doesn't make a lot of sense other than the error I'm getting is an ECP error!

My VAM is set to ECP address "1"and RIS Automation ECP Addr: "25"  and it works fine. Setting yours to 1 should be no problem.

Standard keypads like the 6160 are not AUI devices and therefor do not use ECP addresses.  They use standard keypad device addresses that start at 16, not 1.

I also have a 6160 (keypad device address 16) a 6160RF (keypad device address 17) an envisalink-3 (keypad device address 19) and a Ipdatatel BAT on the same system. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:56:28 AM by Flyct »

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »
 Oh Boy, I'm getting confused again here! I've never heard of an AUI (Advanced User Interface) address before. I always thought it was a feature and not an address. Doesn't it refer to a touch screen graphical user interface rather than an address? My understanding is that Honeywell panels have a 4 wire smart bus they use to connect different devices to and it's called an ECP bus. Each device that connects to that bus must have a different device address (ECP address) so the panel knows which device it is talking to? The panel must know that address and the device itself must be set to that address.  Now according to the installation instructions I have for the 6160 keypad (a non AUI device) that keypad can have any address from 00 to 31. 31 is a non addressable mode, what ever that means, and is the default it comes set to. See the link at https://screenshot.net/3z06kag . There is nothing in that document about the keypad address having to start at 16???  I have two 6160 keypads installed in my system and they were set at device addresses 1 and 2. The device addresses for these keypads had to be set up the same in two different locations. First location is the keypad itself (the 1-3 buttons) and then I had to go into the main alarm panel under device programming and under the corresponding device number, I had to enter information about the device such as what kind of device it was and in the case of the keypad whether or not it was an AUI device. As you say the 6160 keypad is not an AUI device in contrast to a tuxedo keypad which is an AUI device. Again, AUI is not an address but a feature of the device. If I'm screwed up here please straighten me out?
  Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and implemented Honeywell's advice. I moved my 6160 keypad from address 1 to address 8 and moved my VAM from address 6 to address 1. Everything went smoothly and the 6160 keypad works just fine at ECP device address 8. So far so good with the VAM but it's still too early to know for sure! For some reason maybe this VAM needs to see an AUI type device at address 1. Honeywell seems to think so so we'll give it a try!! With the original 6160 at this address, the AUI feature was set to NO. I'll let you know how this works out.   

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
I apologize for confusing you. I assumed you had a Vista 20P. Looking at one of your diagrams I see you have a 128BPT. The 20P non ECP keypad addressing starts at 16 which is no so for a 128BPT.

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 04:04:06 AM »
Not a problem Flyct, I appreciate the feedback. I just hope I can eventually put this issue to bed, it's been driving me crazy trying to troubleshoot it. I sure hope Honeywell's suggestion pans out, strange as their solution sounds to me!

frazzle

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
Changing the VAM's ECP address to 1 seemed to make the problem occur less frequently but the problem still persists. It ran for 17 straight days without the issue surfacing before the yellow light was blinking again and I had to reset it again. I'm beginning to think this VAM is just a piece of crap with a serious bug and the bottom line is it simply doesn't work. Buyer beware!!!!