Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

140 Guests, 1 User
bertbert72

Author Topic: Fire Alarm Battery Backup options  (Read 449 times)

rogerjbos

• View Profile
Fire Alarm Battery Backup options
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
My church has 3 Gamewell fire alarm panels (not security related), each panel has 2 7ah batteries.  The alarm company we use says the batteries are good for 24 hours after a power failure.  The church wanted longer, so the alarm company came back with a quote of $1500 for 6 additional batteries and 3 additional cases.  I am assuming that means 2 batteries per panel.  Does that seem reasonable or high?  My thinking is we could keep 6 extra batteries with an external charger in some closet and just swap them out after 24 hours to save money.  I am wondering if anyone knows of a better solution or another battery backup option.  I am also wondering what is the biggest batter I can use with an alarm system?  I assume if the battery is big I might need an external charger because the panel charger may not be able to handle it.  Any thoughts welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Billy_C

• Security Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Alarm Battery Backup options
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Generally batteries are used to power gizmos for a short time period, then a generator is used for longer periods.

I imagine you have refrigerators with food and heating which needs power to operate - perhaps a security system, night security lighting, along with the fire system?

Might be best to install an "electronics friendly" generator to come on automatically in the event of a power failure. Or purchase a manually operated generator and set your security system to notify someone if power goes out. Then they can connect it.

Also some generators will run on natural gas. Then it will run forever without needing to go get gasoline.

Note that regular construction generators put out "dirty" "noisy" electricity and electronic control boards like in a heating system, new refrigerators, and other electronics might not even run on it or could be damaged. So best to get an "electronics friendly" generator which produces "clean" electricity.