Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

107 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Storm took out keypad  (Read 490 times)

SuperKaos

• View Profile
Storm took out keypad
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »
Hi all, I need some help with this unit. I have a 10 yr old NX-8  system w/ a NX 216e expander w/ a total of 24 zones, and 2 NX 1448e key pads.
 I had a storm at the end of the summer that took out my system, I have finally gotten around to diagnosing it. The storm left the keypads useless, the back lighting is on but no text. So what I have found so far is one shorted keypad.  Initially when I power the unit down then back up (remove wires from AC then reattach)  After about 5 sec. It beeps and all goes blank.

So from there I started remove one key pad at a time, after removing one key pad the system comes up and works. However, now the service light is on and the system beeps endlessly. I performed the reset code *7 and it doesn’t react or do anything.  I select the service code *2 and get 1, then like the manual says I select 1 again and get 7. Which is” Expander Trouble”

I have also removed the 216e board and performed a reset as well.

So my question is, would expander trouble be the expander board, the remaining key pad or something else? Not sure which way to go from here...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:25:35 PM by SuperKaos »

SuperKaos

• View Profile
Re: Storm took out keypad
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »
From poking around the net different manual say to set the partition and key pad. I have LCD pads and try the sequence of *94 9713 and such with no luck. The service light just stays on...

Just can't seem to find the info needed to clear it...

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
You are gtting the expander trouble because the system isn't seeing all of the modules it is supposed to . . . . in this case, the keypad you disconnected.

You can get the system to 'forget' about the keypad by going into the program mode, then immediately exiting; the panel 'enrolls' the connected modules at the end of every program session.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

SuperKaos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
That makes sense, from what little I have figures out on how the system works I am assuming that the program code has been changed (if that's possible) or this remaining key pad it bad too.

When I put in the program code the LCD still displays "enter code" I assume at that point the code is wrong?

I'm using *8 9713

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »
Yes. The code would appear to have been changed.

SuperKaos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Thanks for your help, I can't figure out what to do or buy to make it work correctly. I'm guessing a new board and pads is the answer at this point.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
There are only 9999 codes left to try . . . . . .

As it happens, there are ways to unlock boards - we have a member who can do it over the Internet if you are equipped - I gather you aren't and I don't know if he still does it.  You would need the NX586 programming interface - and a piece of software he can provide the link for.

It is ultimately 'a wash' in the sense that if you buy the interface it will cost about as much as a new board.  There is, however an advantage to the programming interface in that you can avoid having to reprogram the entire board from scratch . . . . .

SuperKaos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
Hey that's crazy! I found my original receipt from the install 10 years ago. The guy is still in business so I'm currently waiting on a call back so hopefully he can sell me keypad and come over and clean out HIS installers code. Now that the warranty is up I'm sure it's now big deal now... Well see. Thanks for you help!

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
Perhaps you simply ask him for the program code and get that part resolved - keypads can be a separate discussion.  You *might* want to consider upgrading to the 1820 touchscreen series.

SuperKaos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 01:47:09 AM »
Yes, I'm still waiting on a call back so... The 1820 sounds like a good option!