Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

75 Guests, 1 User
murphy62

Author Topic: Quoting customers: Do I list labor separate in itemized quote?  (Read 149 times)

djm227

• Security Master
    • View Profile
Hi all,

My employer lets me do installations for family/friends on the side and sells me parts at cost.  I then give those parts to my "customers" (family/friends) at cost, plus reasonable labor charges.

I'm doing this more and more, and was just wondering if it's standard to list labor separate in a quote, or if I should include it in the price I quote them for the parts?

Thanks!

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Quoting customers: Do I list labor separate in itemized quote?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
When I got quotes they were parts+labor from every vendor I talked to..

It's cleaner that way, but if you want to get it all out in the open so they can see you aren't taking them for a ride you can split them up... If your only doing this for people you know fairly well it probably doesn't mater that much..

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Quoting customers: Do I list labor separate in itemized quote?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:26 AM »
I do not include labor on my quotes, but it's a different situation.  I maintain the clients under monitoring agreements (full service company).  I price the average labor to install into the price for each item.  I do pass along savings from purchasing kits (i.e. panel, keypad, siren, 3 doors, 1 motion).  For example, $35 for a door/window contact.  This covers the cost of the contact, the cable and labor.  Sometimes I come out a little ahead, sometimes a little behind so it averages out.  Down the road, if one needs to be replaced, I'll often "discount" the parts if warranted as I do charge labor on service calls.  For friends / family, I'll typically discount a new install about 20%.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011