Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

122 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Safety apps  (Read 458 times)

cynthia123

• View Profile
Safety apps
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:39 AM »
Hi all, I am starting my career as a  building technician. It is my dream job and as you might know, there are several risks involved in this and requires a lot of travel and night work. My family is worried about me working late hours and I donít know how to convince them. When my sister did some research online for some safety tips she saw an article on a lone worker safety app . She says that this app can be downloaded on your smartphone and with the press of a button, a signal will be sent to the monitoring center at the time of emergency. I donít know much about this app and would like to get suggestions from you all if you have used it.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Safety apps
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
There are companies who specialize in senior medical emergency systems (Google P.E.R.S., Personal Emergency Response System, or Medical Alert) that offer GPS tracking  a personal pendant / panic button.  It can be tailored for a lone worker situation.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Billy_C

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
They are just going to call 911...

And if you have your phone, you might just as well call 911 yourself. They will get there quicker!

Mitchel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
Nothing beats using the buddy system, in case you really can't call 911.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
There are a lot of apps that can send people you location and a recording just by for example double tapping the power button, this would only be useful if you were being robbed or something and could do it in your pocket or something like a panic button.. If you could call 911 that would be the best option... There's also things that require you report in on a regular basis or it calls someone, this can get really annoying and won't help if you have a major medical issue where you can't call anyone and your next check in is in an hour...

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:46:37 PM »
99% of the time I operate alone.  Only twice have I gotten stuck in an attic and became concerned.  Both were mid-summer and were OLD homes with additions that created VERY tight squeezes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:01:39 AM by AlarmMike »

cynthia123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:24:13 AM »
Thank you for the replies. What if we are not able to make a call to 911?

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »
As stated above, if you're working in a hazardous occupation and are afraid you won't be able to summon assistance by any means, then either find a different career or work with a partner.

Billy_C

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
...What if we are not able to make a call to 911?

A Honeywell Vista 20P has an "inactivity alarm". This looks for movement periodically in a home or elsewhere. If there is no movement for a period of time (programmable as I recall), then it can alert the monitoring center.

Typically that would be for an elderly person - gets up every morning and makes coffee. (That would detect motion on the alarm.) If the person does not get up one morning, then the alarm would know something is wrong.

You can also wear a wireless "panic button" which activates an alarm. That needs to be set up with the alarm system and alarm company. [What a button press means.] For an elderly person, that would be a medical emergency. For a bank, it would mean a robbery. For a lone worker, it could mean they are injured.

Note that a panic button connected to an alarm system would be a WHOLE lot more reliable than anything [Bluetooth] connected to a cell phone. I would not want my life to depend on any Bluetooth device needing to work!

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »
You didn't really describe the situation where you couldn't call 911...

Are you worried about being accosted? incapacitaed? Unable to reach for your phone?