Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

110 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Vista 10P False Alarm in zone 3  (Read 777 times)

mringer

• View Profile
Vista 10P False Alarm in zone 3
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
I have lived in my house for 8 years.  i have had problems with zone 3 since i moved in.   It used to go off at weird times, usual at 2am, and effectively scaring the shit out of me.   for the past year i have to bypass the zone to get it to work.   sometimes i can put magnets on my sensors and they will work, but only for like 6 hours.   No problems with zone 4. 

so bad sensor or bad logic board?

thanks!

Michael

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Vista 10P False Alarm in zone 3
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:31 PM »
Pretty rare for the board to actually go bad, particularly on one zone but it's pretty hard to rule it out.. I'd leave that as the last option though..

Sensors do have moving parts inside them, so they can go bad after years of service.  The field wiring going between the sensor and the board is also a common culprit, walls shift and depending how the wires were ran and secured it's possible for them to get pinched or broken.

On that same note it's possible for doors/windows to shift and come out of line with the sensor...  You can try stronger (rare earth) magnets and you can try replacing the sensor, both are cheap and easy to do...

If that doesn't work you can look at the wiring or the board...

If you want to rule out the board (depending how it's programmed) you can remove the sensor from the terminals and replace it with a jumper wire or a resistor if applicable effectively making the zone always appear to be closed... If you leave it jumped out for long enough to tell the false alarms have gone away than you can basically rule out the board being bad.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 02:24:46 AM »
When you have a falsing problem with a zone, it's always helpful to tell us WHAT'S ON THE ZONE!?

I gather from your mention of magnets, plural, that there are magnetic reed switches on the zone, so I can infer that Z3 is door(s) and/or window(s). How many and WHAT KIND?. Sliding doors/windows; garage door(s), double-hung or casement window(s), etc. Some openings are easier than others to install and keep good distance and alignment between the switch/magnet pair.

The most common cause of falsing on a perimeter zone is misalignment or spacing change from the house settling; and perhaps not a perfect spacing/alignment when first installed. A mag switch can be imperfectly installed but still be within tolerance and operate on the edge of its margin for years before its setting settles enough to precipitate a falsing problem. I would definitely check the spacing and alignment carefully before going the Troubleshooting-by-Replacing-Parts route. That gets expensive and time-consuming.

Set your system to Chime Mode, close and latch all openings on Z3, and then go to each one and push, pull, shake, rattle, roll, and bang on each one and see if you can get it to chime. You should not be able to if the switch is good and it's aligned and spaced properly. The magnet should be exactly opposite the switch and ideally no more than 1/2 inch apart. If you have sliders, a picture of the mag/switch placement would be helpful--alignment on sliders can be tricky.

If that doesn't ferret out the offending sensor(s), is each sensor home-run to the panel or are they daisy-chained?

Billy_C

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »
1. Move zone 3 to another zone and see if the problem moves.

2. And as mentioned above... WHAT is on zone 3? Check all the wiring and contacts. Check with a multimeter on ohms. Check all wiring connections. If you do not know how to do this, call an alarm company repair technician.

Ament

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:54:54 AM »
1. Move zone 3 to another zone and see these bathmate results if the problem moves.

That's good advice. if it is a problem with you will need a new board.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:30:10 AM by Ament »

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:00:03 AM »
I just helped a friend with this exact problem; three doors on one zone giving him a problem. He had noticed that one door had sagged quite a bit and he had also tried stronger magnets to no avail. I went to the panel and jiggled the bundle of wires and the chime went berserk! I redid all the splices in the panel and things are much improved. Time will tell if there's anything else wrong. . .
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.