Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

137 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: System recommendation for one or two 5megabit camera setup  (Read 199 times)

tommygunner

• View Profile
System recommendation for one or two 5megabit camera setup
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
I am looking at installing a security system myself in my home outside of front door.  I was originally thinking of just one camera and have that save data to the cloud but my Internet upload speeds are only about 2 megabits a second so I'm thinking having either SD Card or hard drive storage would be better.

The idea of system is to see mail deliveries, people at the door, people across the street and people as they walk by or park. I'm home most the time but would like to know if anything going on outside by getting notifications on phone. Night vision would be nice also. A 4MB or 5MB should be plenty.

I would like to know what camera and system would be good for this.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: System recommendation for one or two 5megabit camera setup
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
There are some decent doorbell camera's out there...You can get some really cheap cameras if you want but they won't be that great as far as picture quality but they are good enough for telling what's going on...

tommygunner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
I was thinking of 3-5MP security system but they cost too much so looks like 1080P a sweet spot with price. I like the idea of NVR system with single cable but have only found maybe one or two companies that are less than $250.

I found a Zmodo 4 channel 1080P NVR POE system for about $119 plus about $50 for 2TB HD so $170 total. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338076770&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FZmodo-4CH-1080p-HDMI-NVR-IP-Network-PoE-4-2-0MP-Home-Security-Camera-System-%2F221728377541%3Fhash%3Ditem33a00a8ac5%3Ag%3AUEAAAOSww3tY7zD6

The idea is just to trigger motion detection and save. 2Terabytes seems like overkill for this but its only $50.

Does anyone know much about the firmware / software? I know some home devices have become victims to hacking and have become botnets. I was hoping there would be a universal open source security software that is being used by these systems but it doesn't appear to be the case.

The reviews have been pretty decent from what I have seen on Youtube.  Someone complained about 720P model that night vision not so good but the day quality great.

Some people have stated that  dome style cameras don't do so well with UV rays and let in bugs and plastic fogs up from sun.  Since this is bullet style, I am hoping maybe this won't have such issues.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this Zmodo system?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:36:31 PM by tommygunner »

tommygunner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
There are some decent doorbell camera's out there...You can get some really cheap cameras if you want but they won't be that great as far as picture quality but they are good enough for telling what's going on...

Thanks. I looked at some of those doorbell cameras and the Ring one nice but I think for the price a 4 camera security system will be much better. The interaction of a doorbell camera is nice but the high cost $199 and limitations of just one camera makes it less desirable. Even the cheaper ones I've seen are about $85 and have bad reviews. I don't have many people coming to the door but mostly its traffic & activity across the street that is more of a concern.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:14:38 PM »
I have one of those cheap $85 doorbell cameras and it is kind of flakey... I probably wouldn't pay $200 for a Ring.

I have heard OK things about Zoneminder for open source roll your own NVR kinda thing but I don't know that there are any commercial products that actually run that.

I don't actually have a dedicated NVR so I really can't say that's good or bad.. I have heard a lot of good things about Geovision's stuff but I think they are on the higher end of the spectrum as far as price goes...

I've also heard some good things about Blue Iris but i think that's software only...

For the most part I went as cheap as possible with cameras and I'm using some free software to record them... I think for the most part video in as far as actually catching someone is pretty useless but if you can catch someone in the act you may be able to get them caught before they leave.