Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

145 Guests, 1 User
AlarmMike

Author Topic: Adding garage door (tilt) sensor -- Need help please!  (Read 470 times)

Steve973

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Adding garage door (tilt) sensor -- Need help please!
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
Hello.  My wife and I have a DSC system (1864 panel) and we currently have one partition.  We would like to have a sensor on the garage door to know if it is open or not, but we do not need it to keep the system from being armed, and we do not need to have a zone opening there to cause an alarm when the system is armed.  I have been considering a few ideas, and I would like your input.

I thought that I could add another partition and put this wireless tilt sensor on that partition.  However, I do not want to have to add extra keypads specific to that partition.  I just want status from various rooms in our house, like the master bedroom and the living area on the first floor.

The second idea was to have this sensor on partition 1, and configure it in a way that will not cause it to trigger an alarm or prevent the system from arming.  But I have not been able to find a suitable configuration.  What is my best option?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.  I notice that there is another similar post (a few posts down).  I already have chamberlain myq, but I would like something that gives us status on our keypad(s).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:19:36 PM by Steve973 »

user17600

• Gold Member
  • "Pithy tag line goes here"
    • View Profile
Re: Adding garage door (tilt) sensor -- Need help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
For my Power832 (PC5010) system, I put the garage in both Partition 1 and Partition 2, that way I could see the status of the garage door on the display (Garage O/H Door > Open) without it triggering an alarm in that state (to trigger an alarm both partitions would need to be armed).

See this: http://www.shieldlab.com/forum/index.php/topic,24588.msg115248.html#msg115248

Your system should support multiple partitions, and this would seem to be the simplest (and no-cost) approach.

drewgost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
Did you get yours to work I am trying to do the same thing with a DSC Power Series Nero HS2032 with (2) HSLCD(RF) keypads

What I am trying to do and maybe you can help me. I want to put a wireless contact on each garage door (2 of them)
I would like to have them send a chime to  the panels when the doors are open. Not set off the alarm unless you have a better thought? Maybe there could be a long delay for the garage doors to open and close when leaving and then a long delay when entering?
Scenario is:
Arm alarm system, leave through garage hall door, open garage door, get in car, back out and close garage door> alarm sets.
Coming home open garage door not trip alarm (or if it would have to that would be ok) park car, open garage hall door and disarm alarm.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Drew

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »
If you put the rollup door(s) on their own zone and assign it type 02 you could make the rollup door entry delay up to 4 minutes (2 minutes should suffice).  With the interior garage door set as type 01 and a shorter entry delay of say 20-30 seconds.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

drewgost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:19:00 AM »
Thanks Mike